Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 110, Clippers 118
(08-18-2020, 08:20 AM)Thukydides Wrote: I was a big adovcate of starting Maxi beforehand, but now I´m not sure anymore. He did play great defense on Kawhi, but it also didn´t really matter. Kawhi is just a "bloody monster", but maybe you need Kleber to at least stop him from hitting 50. Obviously the offense did well, whenever they involved Zubac in the pick-and-roll. This just seems easier, when we play only one big. On the other hand who does guard Kawhi then?
I thought this was the Mavs' most interesting tactical adjustment. 

Agree that starting Maxi isn't ideal. The offense runs better with a second playmaker/ball-handler on the court. But it can work if the shots are falling. 

The thing is, I don't know what would have been a better choice against the Clippers. DFS is not able to take on Kawhi as his primary assignment. Similarly, THJ is overmatched against George. And a big is required to protect the paint. MKG is an option as a wing defender, although I question whether he can contribute any more offensively than Maxi. 

I suspect the issue of defending multiple big scoring wings will not be resolved in this postseason, but will require an eventual roster adjustment. But who knows, maybe they'll surprise us.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 110, Clippers 118 - by mavsluvr - 08-18-2020, 01:58 PM