Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 131, Trailblazers 134
(08-12-2020, 08:19 AM)omahen Wrote: I am not happy with the development here in the bubble. Take Phoenix for example. Even if they don't make the playoffs, they will leave full of optimism after their performances here. Future looks bright. Dallas? Not so sure - a lot of questions and they really need to nail the moves up to 2021/22 season. Let's not be delusional that this team has what it takes with a bit of internal development. Phoenix has cap space, Phoenix has good picks and Phoenix has assets like Oubre to move. Mavs don't have much reserve. 

I am assuming, Mavs goal was to move up in the standing. In that case, Mavs, to be honest, underperformed. Yes, they were close every game. But on the other hand, they basically lost every game that was really important. They didn't show the hunger and competitive spirit, heck, I haven't seen anything that would tell me they actually really, really want to win. That they are not satisfied just by participating. Mainly because the lack of effort on defensive side. They didn't get momentum by winning the first game, as they showed no effort on defense. Similar thing happened in game 2 against Phoenix. They managed to win against the below average Sacramento. Then game against shorthanded Clippers - a win would put Denver very close to number 2 spot. Mavs were overpowered. Game against not really motivated Milwaukeee didn't really count and Mavs shined. They also managed to win against Utah who tanked much harder than Mavs (Utah was much better as long as their regular rotation guys played). A brim of light appeared and Mavs were again short against Portland in a game that was important. I was just shocked how easy opportunities Lillard had basically every time he wanted. Portland showed much more on the defensive side, at least they defended well against Luka. 

I think getting one win against Clippers will be a huge "success" in the playoffs. That's why I would like the Mavs to take the game against Phoenix seriously and win.  I don't want them to play third unit and lose, only to be later swept by Clippers (winning one game against them is not really any better). I want them to show they can win a game that matters. Phoenix game is very important for Phoenix, it will be playoff like game. Mavs should show they are better than Phoenix when it matters and take a bit away from Phoenix optimism. Just to end bubble experience on a more positive note. Even if our exit against Clippers will be quick.

Of course, if everything here is just a careful preparation to kick Clippers butts in the first round, I will admit I don't know anything and stop being smart here Smile
Agree that the Mavs have not played well defensively, generally speaking. We knew that was a roster weakness before the bubble started, and it's getting exposed here. 

I don't think I agree that the W-L record in the seeding games is a reasonable basis for this degree of pessimism. It's hard to take much away from the end-of-season stretch, in this or any season. Results are always quirky, as different teams have different motivations than just winning every game going on. 

What I see, mainly, is a very young team that still has not learned how to close games. That's pretty standard for even the best young teams early in their incarnations. I think we can reasonably hope for substantial improvement in this respect at the end of next season. 

I also would like to see the team win at least one game against the Clippers, so that, as you say, they gain the confidence of knowing they can do it. But, it will not shock me if they get swept. This is their first time out of the gate. 

Standing back from the emotional peaks and valleys after each individual game, I like the Mavs' prospects. Luka and KP are improving before our eyes, and so are some of the role players. They still have a lot of work to do, including roster adjustments, but the building blocks are in place and looking good.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 131, Trailblazers 134 - by mavsluvr - 08-12-2020, 07:47 PM