Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 131, Trailblazers 134
(08-12-2020, 02:53 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I guess we can slowly get ready for this years free agency drama but it won´t be as interesting. No capspace and no big names available.

I would be disappointed in the Mavs if they didn't learn from last offseason that no capspace is immaterial.

Regarding last offseason, I'm not sure whether to chalk up the Mavs' cataclysmic failure to 1) a mistaken conception of how to build around Luka and KP, including a badly overinflated view of what they already had, 2) the failure to understand that 100% of the other teams, player agents, and free agents were going to tamper and that the league would give no effs, or 3) that they understood the tampering, but just couldn't get anyone. I think it's actually a soft combination of all three of those. I do believe that, for whatever reason, Favors, Brogdon, Bogdanovich, and the other big names simply weren't interested in the Mavs in spite of the money they had, and figuring out why that was is key to success moving forward.

I think that the Mavs ought to have three goals this offseason:
1) add two starters while retaining our winning non-Luka/KP players who are on good deals (Maxi, DFS, and Curry).
2) divest of bad contracts or potentially bad future decisions (Wright, Powell, and THJ, while getting Justin out the door as well)
3) make sure all acquisitions are on easily tradeable contracts moving forward.

I get that doing all three of those is a tall order given the Mavs' cap/assets situation, but if they do that, they should be at once borderline contenders next year and major players for Giannis or whoever else they want in 2021.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 131, Trailblazers 134 - by Scott41theMavs - 08-12-2020, 04:27 PM