Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mastering the End of Game Dynamics/Game 4
(08-03-2020, 11:02 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: I have to go with coaching that doesn't respond to the dynamics of the game...but the players are also responsible.  The Mavericks are a great offensive team...with a fairly good defense.  They tend to romp around, having fun, get up 10 or 11 points...then let off the throttle a bit.  They stay 10 points ahead, but never pull away.  The other team picks it up, steps on the throttle a bit.  Suddenly the Mavs are in a dog fight of their own making.  They forget what makes them a great offensive team and start chucking away from the three point line. And slowly give the game to the opposing team.

What should they do?  Play full throttle for 48 (or more) minutes.  Quit giving the games away.  The players are too happy to romp around and cruise at 60% throttle...so they are responsible.  But...where's the coaching?  Who should be asking them to play at full throttle till the game's over?  The coaching staff.  Who should be telling them that the inside game sets up the three point shots?...not the other way around.  I could say more...but I'm a little bit disgusted.  

Waiting for the next game.  Mavs forever.
One of the dynamics I've described is that the end of the game is different as the other team really picks it up. The other time this happens is when a team gets down double digits. A key to maturity needed to expand the lead is to understand is that an increase in intensity is required because now you will get the other teams very best. That is why most double digit leads in the NBA shrink. When we lose leads, it is because the other team is more likely to maximize effort as the unhappy team than we are as the happy team.

To the Mavs credit, we get right back into the game when we get behind too. With our offense, we may do that as well or better than anyone. We pick up the offense and give the effort needed to get 2-3 stops. So....doing better at building leads is a very similar dynamic to the end of game dynamic.

Post Kings game update: I continue to see progress.

1. We did win and overcome some pretty unfortunate bounces and the foul call on KP.
2. Trey Burke made both free throws with a 2 point lead though Luka and Maxi did miss free throws.
3. We won this games by getting lots of stops and playing improved defense. We have gotten enough stops all three games in the bubble. This has put us in good position to win all three games. 
4. Luka did not ever get stuck against the clock. We got ourselves decent to good shots. 
5. The Clippers play great defense down the stretch. That will be a challenge I hope we meet. 
6. We really only had Luka to create shots when KP fouled out and he did not rely on the normal Maverick move the ball around offense. Instead, he just did a very nice job of dominating and creating shots, too many of which we did not make.
7. What saved us was another really good end of game dynamic, we really rebounded.
8. Getting 50 free throws has to get a mention here. Making 78%, including the 2 games clinchers, is not too bad.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mastering the End of Game Dynamics - by Reunion Mav Old - 08-04-2020, 07:23 PM