Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What we have
Great piece Dan. I wanted to do my own overview for a while. 

Luka has been absolutely great, not much to say here. System wise it is extremely important that he is surrounded by (at least passable as 2019/20 DFS and Kleber) shooters which maximizes his contribution. I think if we have a non shooter with Luka, he has to be a rim rolling guy. 

KP showed why he is worth the max in second half of the season. One thing I noticed was, that his play was affected a lot by confidence. He was excellent as alpha and often very bad as beta. After couple of excellent games with Luka he finished the season with two really bad ones (4-15 against San Antonio and 3-17 against Indiana). Let's hope he finds a way to have full confidence as a beta - I don't think Luka has any problem to take less shots if someone else is hot.

In the beginning of the season I said one of most crucial things for Mavs this season would be if THJ played according to his contract. And he did. There are not many players that are equally good or better at his wage level. Big question is, can this be sustainable. And from FO office perspective - should we sell high on him. Certainly I would only be moving him for a "kings ransom". Certainly, he gives us options - he is more than good enough for any contender and also young enough for some young developing teams looking to make a step forward. So while he is practically a perfect third man next to Luka and KP, there still might be a win-win package somewhere.

DFS had an excellent season and he certainly greatly outplayed his contract. However, we could use someone in the starting 5 who is either better defensively at DFS level of shooting or better offensive player at same level of defense.

Seth and Maxi are excellent role players, but each lack physical or technical skills to be a real contending starter. Luka-THJ-Curry is not a great defending backcourt and Maxi is not consistent enough to be a regular starter. However, both can be inserted in starting five when we need either offense or defense.

Brunson is definitely our second best PG. However, as Dan said, he is not great fit with Luka (Brunson would need to be a much better defender to be effective next to Luka) and a reserve pairing with Seth gives us a very small backcourt. Then Wright was added to this to make things even worse. However, he can be an excellent back up PG - I would certainly look for changes elsewhere if possible.

Powell is extremely valued by Mavs as a culture guy. However, his on court production might not be what we expect from a starter. He brings huge energy and is a top roll man, but is a non shooter which cloggs driving lanes for Luka. Still, his contract might be a bit of a burden moving forward, unless he gets back to at least preinjury level of production.

Lee, Barea and Bobi are ok vet min (or a bit over in case of Bobi) guys. Great guys, ready to give their best when called. I am fine if they fill end of bench and there is also nothing tragical if they leave (Lee), retire (Lee, Barea) or are traded (Bobi). WCS is a totally fine back up center but no worries if he rejects his option - plenty of centers will be available for vet min.

Wright was one of only two guys that gave less than it was expected. He had a couple of good games but not enough to really justify his salary and role imho. He was bad offensively and didn't prove himself as a PG, even when Luka was not on the floor. Defensively he is good, but certainly not at some Bev or Smart level, in which case we could forgive his offensive limitations. He might work better in a different system, but he is the one I would certainly look to move if I could bring positive value in (meaning - I wouldn't just try to get rid of his contract). 

Jackson is the second underperformer. I actually like the guy and I think he has some tools to make him at least a decent rotation player. Unfortunately, he had extremely bad season. His shooting totally left him. I think the problem might be in inconsistent minutes and more importaintly his role. He was "forced" to play PF, which he is certainly not capable to do. His weaknesses were exposed even more when Curry-Brunson and Wright were next to him and it was expected from his role to be the rebounder, lock down defender guy (which of course can't be). So, there still might be hope for him in a different situation somewhere else. However as a Mavs, I would definitely trade him, even for a second rounder. I doubt he can have a better season in the role he needs to play. 

Let me now move to our needs. I totally agree with Dan that we need two better starter types. One good defender who can also shoot on positions 1-3 and one good defender who can also shoot on positions 3-4. Secondary facilitator would also be nice. I can totally see the FO try to cover these holes with a pick and MLE while counting on internal development. Although to be honest - can we really expect Seth, Maxi and DFS to play even better as last season? They were really good. I am affraid one or more would actually regress a bit due to some injuries, worse shooting and similar. God forbid THJ returns to his pre Dallas production days. 

We can't really count for Wright and Jackson to really bring us anything great even if we add a pick or two to their contracts. Perhaps Wright for Snell type of trade - neither player is really great but the fit might be better for both sides.

I think this team also needs a veteran leader. Someone with better on court production (and minutes) that Barea and Lee were capable to give. A proven winner who would be respected by teammates. Remember how much guys like Gasol, Milsap or even Hill and Dragic are valuable for their teams. That's why I would really love a trade for Horford and Richardson, despite giving up THJ (plus Wright and JJ) in the process. Especially, if we could squeeze another asset for Horford contract (Philly #22 pick for example). Horford gives us a veteran winner and excellent PF defender, who can switch on smaller guys. I think his presence would go far beyond his stats. His contract is awful but he can still give a couple of decent seasons. Richardson replaces THJ - he is not as good shooter as THJ was last season, but he is excellent defender (not that THJ was bad, only Richardson is better) and he is also a better facilitator. This leaves us with MLE and rookie to try to find a good guard/wing shooter. Even if not, Curry might fit perfectly with Luka, Richardson, Horford and KP.

(04-25-2020, 03:20 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Jones Jr, might be a guy like that, I see him as a more defense then offense guy and worthy of playing time, but he might be best suited coming off the bench

Totally agree. He can be starter, if he can get his shooting to DFS level. He is certainly excellent defender and better defender than DFS. 

What do you think about possibilities to snatch Caldwell Pope from Lakers. He had an excellent season. Full 4 year MLE might be something that he considers. And it would certainly hurt the Lakers Smile
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
What we have - by DanSchwartzgan - 04-25-2020, 12:43 PM
RE: What we have - by chaparral - 04-25-2020, 01:58 PM
RE: What we have - by ItsGoTime - 04-25-2020, 03:20 PM
RE: What we have - by omahen - 04-25-2020, 03:27 PM
RE: What we have - by ItsGoTime - 04-25-2020, 04:37 PM
RE: What we have - by aguiar95 - 04-25-2020, 04:41 PM
RE: What we have - by Jommybone - 06-30-2020, 09:22 PM
RE: What we have - by ClutchDirk - 07-01-2020, 09:55 AM
RE: What we have - by Reunion Mav Old - 07-01-2020, 06:12 PM
RE: What we have - by michaeltex - 07-02-2020, 09:24 AM