07-06-2026, 02:49 PM
(07-06-2026, 02:40 PM)Smitty Wrote: This is how I view it, as things stand today. The Mavericks will be a team that deploys 5-man linueps with the current structure:
1 Guard - 3 Wings - 1 Big
OR
1 Guard - 2 Wings - 2 Bigs
What I mean by that is playstyle. With a bit of positional size. I don't view players like Klay or Max as guards, even if they have Shooting Guard next to their name. I do view players like Flagg, Naji, and Sergio as initiator types. Capable ones - not great ones (yet - in Flagg's case). With their size, they'd be labeled a SF, in the traditional sense.
So, to your point I think Tarik can simply be viewed as a Wing.. Which can mean SG-SF-PF in the traditional terminology, depending on who else is on the court.
The obvious theme here so far is shooting and versatility... Playstyle versatility, yes, but more so position(less) versatility.
I think every player on the roster is multiple, except for 3 that are "position" locked in Gafford, Lively, Nembhard.
The argument you keep bringing this back to isn't with me, if you think it is. I agree with a lot of what you say above, and in this case I definitely agree as it applies to Biberovic.
Where I get sideways is when people use the term "positionless" as a logical fix-all to explain away what I consider to be extremely poor skill-set synergy in certain lineups.
Beberovic's utility is as a a movement shooter, or at least an extremely lethal stand still shooter, and yes, I think this skill can be plugged into the lineup in a wide variety of ways with a wide variety of other players - that's why I wanted them to make this happen.
But, "postionless" is used by fans who don't understand the organizing principles of basketball far more than it is by by league execs and analysts, who I've observed are using position labels now even more than they were 10 years ago, frankly. When it does get used by real people, I don't think it means "without position," and how could it? Every player must, by definition, be playing a "position" on the court, so...you know...they know where to go and what to do.

