(07-03-2026, 09:45 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Interesting thought process. What if Lebron does not want just the MLE in FA. He says I come to Dallas, but I need 23M. Don´t sign me outright. Trade me for PJ Washington. You know Luka and the Lakers would want it. Would you do it straight up? What assets do you want from the Lakers? Do you want Bronny? Do you flat out tell Lebron MLE or nothing.
I want future assets for PJ (picks or young players) or keep him. Im not opposed to signing Lebron for a short term FA deal, because I do think he can provide value in the short term along with Kyrie to the young guys, help take the potential ball handling burden off Kyrie and Coop, and help the team be better next year when theres no benefit to having a bad year. Not to mention that IMO, if Lebron were to sign with the Mavericks, that means he's not as honed in on looking to finish his career with another ring as we might think. I'd be more content with where his mentality is at. That being said I fully expect his mindset to be about winning another ring, so don't expect the Mavs to be an option regardless of if we have interest.
Also would be good with moves for Matherin, Sharpe or Scoot, not because I think they are ideal players for the Mavs longer term, I'm actually not particularly high on any of them at all, but because I think a good strategy while the Mavs are in rebuilding mode, is to bring in young players who have the natural talent to be rehabilitated to an extent to where you can build their value and move them on for really good assets at a later date.
So if you look to make moves with that concept in mind, future fit and thinking about them as long term Mavs becomes less relevant, it's all about do they have the talent to where you could showcase them to show out and extract maximum value moving them at a later date. If they tick that box then I think it's a good idea to bring them in, even if I don't really like them as longer term fits next to Coop or just in general. I think this is a pretty good longer term strategy to rebuild assets for a team that's given a a lot assets away.

