07-03-2026, 01:30 AM
(07-03-2026, 12:55 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: You know that I regard you as a major voice and contributor on this board. But this take is a nice opening negotiation stance for Masai, not a realistic perspective for Mavs fans. If we want to come away with Scoot or Sharpe, you have to give to get. I know they will only pursue this if Schmitz (who knows what the legitimate hopes should be for these two players) signs off and Masai approves. If they think these guys are worth it, of course I’m going to be fine with Gaff or PJW as the outgoing. Martin? How magnanimous of you! Even the penny pinching Portland owner would scoff and hang up. On the other hand, there’s no call for Mav fan hang-wringing or griping if we don’t choose to wheel and deal on this. M&M know what they’re doing.
Thanks for your points. I get it. I know Scoot's a "big name" quantity (even while he spares it up). I do appreciate the Schmitz factor.
As for what I would offer, what if I don't highly crave Scoot, but would take a flyer? That's why I would want to offer low value -- as I see it, I'm trading my spare for theirs. I don't pay extra because POR drafted him way too high. So I am willing to not value him very highly, and think even Naji may be an overpay.
As for the Schmitz factor regarding POR players, imo that only helps when Schmitz knows where a POR overlooked bargain is AND can get that player at a bargain price. Paying more than anyone else would should not be the idea.
As far as the POR owner and his frugality, I've never seen anything like it. I do think he is a cousin to what Cuban was on entering the NBA, a guy with his own ideas who will do his own ideas for a while until he learns better the hard way. Cuban got pantsed a lot on trades. If Dundon's priority is saving money, let's help.


![[-]](https://www.mavsboard.com/images/collapse.png)