Poll: What do you think about THJr
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Starter Hope
40.91%
18 40.91%
Master Chuckfest
15.91%
7 15.91%
Trade him!
29.55%
13 29.55%
Tim Hero Jumper
13.64%
6 13.64%
Total 44 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The X-Factor Tim Hardaway Jr.: DAL to give long term extension?
(02-25-2020, 11:52 AM)Tyler Wrote: IMO, the way he's playing right now there's a good chance his next contract tops his last one (4/71).  Since you mentioned a few player comps, note that Fournier last signed for 5/85 and Hield for 4/94.

I just don't think the market is going to justify paying THJ 20+ million bucks. 

Fournier signed his contract extension in the 2016 market boom that saw insane contracts being handed out to players that clearly didn't deserve it all because every GM figured the cap spike would continue to spike every year.

We now see more and more GM's being as frugal as they can be and only dolling out contracts that are high dollar if they are 1000% win now mode or absolutely necessary. 

Hield's contract didn't come without a battle. There was several instances of Hield going to the press to voice his displeasure with the Kings and how he wanted out had he not gotten a contract worth in excess of 100+ million. Hield even said he saw Jaylen Brown's contract extension and felt that he was deserved at least that since he feels he's a better player. In the end, both parties settled in the middle of 4/94.

THJ isn't on the same level as Hield, and isn't going to command the same market. This summer, there are few teams that have any significant cap space, and those that do I believe will have a tough time buying the idea of throwing 4/80+ million at THJ is a good idea. 

I really do think THJ opts into his last year with the Mavs and the Mavs look to extend him, ala a Dwight Powell move. I think a 2 or 3 year extension around 15-16 per, so lets just say 3/48, last year being a player option.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The X-Factor Tim Hardaway Jr. Thread: Hyperbole Starting Campaign - by SleepingHero - 02-25-2020, 12:25 PM