07-01-2026, 12:48 PM
I'm sure I'm not the first person to think about this, and it might have even been discussed already (if so, sorry), but Middleton's Bird rights are interesting to me this morning.
Is there anything of value in Miami that would be appropriate compensation for facilitating a deal at above the veteran minimum? I assume he wanted to stay here after the trade deadline in order to maintain his Bird rights, and the Mavs paid a high cost to grant that wish for him, so it sticks in my craw a bit that the world is suddenly assuming he's fine with taking the vet minimum. Maybe they have an exception he can be traded into for a 2nd or two, even?
Anything?
Is there anything of value in Miami that would be appropriate compensation for facilitating a deal at above the veteran minimum? I assume he wanted to stay here after the trade deadline in order to maintain his Bird rights, and the Mavs paid a high cost to grant that wish for him, so it sticks in my craw a bit that the world is suddenly assuming he's fine with taking the vet minimum. Maybe they have an exception he can be traded into for a 2nd or two, even?
Anything?



![[-]](https://www.mavsboard.com/images/collapse.png)