06-28-2026, 07:44 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2026, 07:49 PM by KillerLeft.)
There are several ways trading for Johnson could make sense, I think. Since he has only a year left, this probably isn't the best way to use the Thompson chip, and I doubt that's what Denvier is looking to do, anyway.
Probably, Denver is asking for PJW, who is currently guaranteed to be on the books through 2030 (!!!). As long as you're not PAYING to get off of that contract (Denver is getting the better player, after all), I think I might pull the trigger. PJW's contract is the biggest obstacle to longterm flexibility, he has a TON of overlap with Flagg and Johnson provides a little of something they desperately, desperately need.
I never check the math on a first glance, but it also feels like Gafford works (not sure why Denver would do that, so not discussing), OR, if that last player option of Caleb Martin has you in a twist, it feels like maybe combining that with Marshall is a possibility here, too.
I will say though, when you go to the team's payroll and see it listed by years, all in one place...it's pretty easy to understand why we're starting to hear PJW's name come up in these rumors a lot recently. I really can see something like that happening with Denver.
Probably, Denver is asking for PJW, who is currently guaranteed to be on the books through 2030 (!!!). As long as you're not PAYING to get off of that contract (Denver is getting the better player, after all), I think I might pull the trigger. PJW's contract is the biggest obstacle to longterm flexibility, he has a TON of overlap with Flagg and Johnson provides a little of something they desperately, desperately need.
I never check the math on a first glance, but it also feels like Gafford works (not sure why Denver would do that, so not discussing), OR, if that last player option of Caleb Martin has you in a twist, it feels like maybe combining that with Marshall is a possibility here, too.
I will say though, when you go to the team's payroll and see it listed by years, all in one place...it's pretty easy to understand why we're starting to hear PJW's name come up in these rumors a lot recently. I really can see something like that happening with Denver.


