06-15-2026, 12:15 PM
(06-15-2026, 12:08 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: The problem with this approach is that, if the "target" for contention is 3 or 4 years from now, when Cooper is nearing his prime, there's limited salary cap space.
The window for massive overproduction relative to salary is the next three years. Another reason I'd favor drafting mature players who can contribute immediately. Or trading current draft picks for players in or nearing their prime who can win now.
That's why I'm skeptical about all the plans to trade PJ, Gaff, Naji for "future" lottery tickets.
As somebody already mentioned, most of the great players did not win a championship on their first contract. It takes time to build a championship. The key is have the building blocks in place and go over the cap with bird rights before his big extension. The ability to do that is more limited now due to the aprons, but I don't think trying to rush a championship in Flagg first 4 years is the right way to approach this.


![[-]](https://www.mavsboard.com/images/collapse.png)