06-03-2026, 03:26 PM
(06-03-2026, 08:17 AM)Smitty Wrote: I was looking into Denver and their situation earlier and found a unique way to make a deal on or before draft night by using the AD TPE this league year. Of course, the opinions on the players can be different, but a framework for an interesting deal involving the TPE and a poison pill contract (Braun) that works, thought I'd share....
DEN: Klay Thompson, Caleb Martin, TPE
DAL: Cam Johnson, Christian Braun, Pick #26
This saves the Nuggets ~$20M next year and gives them two useful players, with room to pay Watson (RFA). The Mavs would have to like Braun!! A buy-low candidate? Could it also be part of a bigger move to package 26 & 30 to move up for "their guy" later in the round?
I get it... Braun had a really down year and is owed 5 years 125M. It's probably not a move I'd make, but I thought it was an interesting trade when you consider the use of the TPE, PPP, and the stepien rule avoidance, due to DEN owing future picks. All of it combined made it entertaining to put together.
*The Mavs AD TPE is $20,830,154, but Cam's salary this season is $21,057,065... BUT the Mavs are below A1, so they get a $250K buffer, which allows them to absorb Cam by just $23,089 this league year. Not possible July 1, of course, when his salary jumps to $23M (expiring).
Haven't thought about Caleb. I just saw he has a player option for the year after this upcoming one. A healthy Caleb could be helpful to Denver. Maybe. Could you do something with Cam for Caleb. I don't think you could get pick 26 for that outright. Maybe a swap of 26 and 30? Would that have any interest.
Dallas leaves with 9, 26 and Cam Johnson. Johnson is expiring so he either leaves after the year or he rehabs himself for a deal at the deadline.

