Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excellent analysis of our Clutch Time struggles
Thanks for posting this Clutch. It is indeed good analysis/food for thought. Most Maverick fans, I suspect, have been watching closely for our team to win more of these games. This did a good job of pointing out things we need to get going in our direction.

I for one have noticed significant progress in several different areas. First, I think Luka's decisions, combined with the decisions of our other guys closing games have clearly gotten better. We are not falling making the some of the mistakes we did earlier because guys on this team, lead by Luka himself, have learned very quickly. 

Against the Clippers and Jazz this week, it is apparent that these "elite" teams are giving us their best shot. We have earned their respect...with reason. Their best is still consistently beating our improving level of play. But we are improving and losing to these guys are in no way bad losses. They aren't good losses either. They are way to painful to watch for that! But against Utah in particular I was finally able to console myself (and calm down) by remembering how many winning plays we made down the stretch and thru the game. 

Free throw huge misses are still a big problem but I think we were very spoiled by Dirk and Nash. These younger Mavs may or not ever be that good at the line. Their 90% shooting was historically good and it was GREAT.

As for hesitation on threes by DFS and others: Yes we need to get better but the pain of these losses and Rick kicking their butts precisely for hesitating they will get better. Guys like DFS, Kleber have improved so massively already that who is to say how good they could become. With Luka and KP, whoever earns closing time out there will get opportunities and they will get better. I say it is likely that they continue to get better pretty quickly. 

As for KP needing a go to shot, I think it needs to be the bank shot he did take and make late in this game. I posted a couple of weeks ago how he seemed to miss between the basket and the board. He seemed not to commit to either. It looks like he or his coaches agreed. Especially late in games, I think he could develop Tim Duncan like shots for those clutch points and he could become extremely hard to stop. Plus, being in their on the interior wings, 8-16 feet puts him in position for those monster put backs and other offensive rebounds. 

As well on KP, I have seen a few Luka/KP pick and rolls very recently and since Powell got hurt. Bring back the deadly, Dirk/Jet level pick and roll with Luka and KP. I am for that as well and I think both of them could make it work well as a deadly but occasional option.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Excellent analysis of our Clutch Time struggles - by Reunion Mav Old - 01-27-2020, 12:03 AM