Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
FA: Klay Thompson Comes to Dallas| 3yrs/50mil
(07-05-2024, 01:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think you're right to be concerned about the triangular fit on defense between Thompson, Kyrie and Luka. That's valid, but maybe not as concerning as the offense was in the finals, especially considering that other teams will try to replicate that strategy against Dallas now. 

But, I think that in a vacuum, Thompson's defensive decline is bing hyperbolized, somewhat. I think that in a general sense, he's going to be a much better defender than Luka or Kyrie, and that will probably be true through this entire contract (that last part might be pushing it). I think he's very likely to be a plus addition in terms of team defense, attention to detail with rotations, etc, and possibly even one of the team's best in that type of way. You don't win four rings without understanding that you have to make yourself useful on both ends. Hopefully, he can even help expedite the trend of Luka starting to understand this.

Again, the only issue is about Thompson playing at times when DJJ would've (I agree with you), because there's no chance Klay acts as the deodorant to Luka/Kyrie's shortcomings on that end that Jones did. But, he will, as others have said, have Washington and Lively out there to help, and the offense might be so much better in the specific lineup you're worried about that they come out ahead in the aggregate. 

Further, the other two additions, Marshall and Grimes, are both defensive pluses, which to my count puts them at one additional plus defender in the rotation from last season. And, playing either/both of them is easier, because they'll both contribute quite a bit on offense. 

In light of the last point re Marshall/Grimes, I think the other worry that's being overblown a little is that the entire orgainziaton will be walking on eggshells around Thompson, caring most about whether or not he is happy with his role. I do think he's coming here to start, at least at the beginning of the season, and I'm sure he'd love to be a closer, but I also think he has been around the block enough to know what that means (he understands both the strengths and weaknesses of how he fits with Kyrie/Luka better than we ever will, I suspect). I believe that when push comes to shove, Kidd is going to make choices intended to win, not to keep Thompson happy. I also think Thompson will understand this, since, by all accounts, he took less money to be here in order to have a shot to win. 

Thompson is making way, way less money than we feared when this rumor first started. His starting salary is THJ/PJ Washington money. Do we think they'd be scared to sit either of them, if they thought it would help them win? I think Kidd was desperately hoping Hardaway would break out of his funk at some point during the playoffs, and honestly, had he been playing well, I think he'd have made a difference in the finals. I still think they lose, but it might have at least been a semi-competitive series. He was an integral part of the way they were designed to play, and unplayable. Thompson brings that back into the mix, only even better (on both ends). 

I think it might take some time for the team to find the best way to rotate the players to maximum positive effect, and finding that might require Kidd to up his "adjusting on the fly" game a little, but I feel good about the talent and fit of the top guys, mostly. Something had to change, because the Mavs' offense ended as a bad joke.

I hope your right regarding Klay starting. If it had been the crazy contract I feared, I was sure we would be trapped into starting/finishing him regardless of what worked. I still have concerns given that was the final straw with GS and stars get a ton of leeway in general. I have no question Klay would be valuable coming off the bench, and if I was confident Kidd is willing to go there if it clearly made sense I would have zero issues with this offseason.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-01-2024, 02:25 PM
RE: Jason Terry - by SleepingHero - 07-01-2024, 02:27 PM
RE: Jason Terry - by BigDirk41 - 07-01-2024, 02:33 PM
RE: Jason Terry - by omahen - 07-01-2024, 02:35 PM
RE: Jason Terry - by Mavs2021 - 07-01-2024, 02:36 PM
RE: Jason Terry - by KillerLeft - 07-01-2024, 02:37 PM
RE: Jason Terry - by KillerLeft - 07-01-2024, 02:37 PM
RE: Jason Terry - by KillerLeft - 07-01-2024, 02:36 PM
JamesConway912 - by JamesConway912 - 07-01-2024, 02:18 PM
JamesConway912 - by JamesConway912 - 07-01-2024, 02:37 PM
RE: JamesConway912 - by F Gump - 07-01-2024, 04:41 PM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-01-2024, 08:23 PM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-01-2024, 08:42 PM
RE: FA: Klay Thompson Comes to Dallas| 3yrs/50mil - by mvossman - 07-05-2024, 04:19 PM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-06-2024, 11:44 AM