Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 1 Playoffs 2024: Dallas Mavericks (0-0) vs. Boston Celtics (0-0)
Yet another tough game 1 from the Mavs.

Once again I found the wind taken from my sails, and it stings extra bad cause it's the Finals.

It seemed as if Kidd didn't use any of the 7 days to game plan for Boston. I don't want to say he intentionally sacked this game as a scouting opportunity, but everyone and their mother could say a good game plan would be to run the Celtics off the 3pt line, which they didn't for the 1st quarter.

The energy seemed off for the whole game. The Mavs started strong but as soon as Boston hit some threes it felt like the whole team collectively was dazed. They couldn't recover and Boston poured it on. How many 2nd chance opportunities did the Celtics get? How many times did the Mavs just half-heartedly double that led to an open 3? So many several small mistakes that added up to a huge deficit. Such is the margins of the Finals.

BUT some stuff to be optimistic about:

Mavs were outscored 37-20 in the first quarter. From then on the game was basically even. Mavs kept pace and the Celtics scored 70 to the Mavs 69. That barrage in the 1st quarter won them the game and the team collapsed.

Boston's scoring as the game went on:
Q1: 37
Q2: 26
Q3: 23
Q4: 21.

Mavs made some real defensive adjustments in the 2nd half. And even though they basically gave up the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter, they outscored Boston by 3.

KP hit some absolutely stupid shots. The type of shots you'd be happy for him to take. It happens. Kyrie missed 5 threes (3 of which were wide open), airballed a layup, and dribbled off his foot. Variance will average out here.

Mavs can't just have lapses. They need to come out with the right energy from the get go.

I liked the little post up plays they ran for PJ on White. They need to do more of that. PJ has to shoot better from 3 (0-3 overall).

DJJ has to be smart and not just go right at KP to dunk on him.

Luka was great. Only one who showed up offensively. Defensively he had some lapses and poor closeouts. Remember what I said about the margins of a Finals game? Luka has to unfortunately do even more.

What else? Oh Lively had by the numbers a bad game, but he can definitely play. He got called for some really questionable ticky-tack fouls (especially since they let KP just elbow and knee whoever he wanted on a shot). He has to obviously be better in that regard. But he didn't look like a fish out of water.

Gafford had some moments, but truthfully looked a step slow guarding the rim the entire night.

Mavs have to shake off the rust. They have to make adjustments. And most importantly as Kidd said, go just play basketball and have fun. Tune out the noise and pressure and just go play.

"If you don't believe, you shouldn't be here"
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 06-06-2024, 09:33 PM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 06-06-2024, 09:30 PM
RE: Jason Terry - by Chicagojk - 06-06-2024, 09:32 PM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 06-06-2024, 10:02 PM
JamesConway912 - by JamesConway912 - 06-07-2024, 05:08 AM
RE: GAME 1 Playoffs 2024: Dallas Mavericks (0-0) vs. Boston Celtics (0-0) - by SleepingHero - 06-07-2024, 06:26 PM