Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Playoffs- 2nd Round: Oklahoma City Thunder - Dallas Mavericks- MAVS WIN 4-2!
(05-18-2024, 07:24 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I agree with this.  Lively has been more effective this series and his quicker feet help us against the Thunder's speed. 

I also think there will be less whining about Daniel Gafford on this board when he finally comes off the bench.    

Lively is clearly the more talented player and is clearly the future.  I think there will be less complaining about Gafford when he is in the role that he was acquired to fill-  the backup center position.   As a backup big, he'll be one of the league's best.  Everyone can then direct their criticisms to THJ and Josh Green.

I think Gafford is starting for two reasons:

1) to keep young Lively out of early foul trouble. He has actually been GREAT about avoiding rookie fouls this season, for the most part, but you don't really know how a playoff game is going to be officiated until you're about 5 minutes in. I don't hate that strategy. 

2) because Gafford is 100% more useful when playing with Luka. I haven't checked, but I have a feeling most of the Kyrie only minutes are going to Lively, or even Kleber/PJ at the 5. I remember distinctly that after the Haywood/Butler trade everyone was knives out on one of the older boards because Dampier was still starting over Haywood. When asked about it, Haywood said something like "coach just thinks Damp is more successful playing with Kidd than he is without Kidd, that's all. I don't mind." 

#2 is just a hunch, but I'm pretty confident about #1.

What I can't quite figure out is why, once foul trouble isn't a problem in the 2nd half, Lively isn't playing more in general. He's so clearly the superior player.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs, surfpuckmd
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024 Playoffs- 2nd Round: Oklahoma City Thunder - Dallas Mavericks - by KillerLeft - 05-18-2024, 11:56 AM