Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Playoffs- 2nd Round: Oklahoma City Thunder - Dallas Mavericks- MAVS WIN 4-2!
(05-15-2024, 05:09 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I think the Thunder have crossed the line repeatedly.  I'm fairly objective on this series as I placed a bet during the preseason for the Thunder to win the championship.  Although I'm a Mavs fan, I'm also a Thunder fan this season. 

I still think the Thunder have made multiple attempts to injure Luka.  There have been multiple trips from behind while he was running the ball up the court including the one that loosened his tooth.  That was Dort running into his legs and was not accidental.  Dort was not looking away when he ran through Luka.  This is not something that happens regularly in NBA games.  During game 4, JDub crashed into Luka from the side during a "reach".  He came at an angle where Luka didn't see him coming and knocked Luka over.  It wasn't an attempt to get the ball as he had no chance of actually stealing possession.   It was rather a dirty play meant to knock Luka over.   These should have all been called as flagrant fouls.  

Similar attempts occurred multiple times during the Clippers series.  These dirty takedowns have invariably been against Luka.  

I've watched a lot of playoff basketball and Jayson Tatum, SGA and Anthony Edwards are not being hit in this way.  For some reason, the league is permitting some dangerous plays against Luka.  Even Kyrie isn't being attacked in this same way.  Really, none of the other Mavs are. 

I don't think Mark Daigneault has suggested this explicitly except by telling Lu Dort and Cason Wallace to "be physical" with Luka.  

I do think there's some discussion among opposing players though that they'd like to be the one who takes Luka out of the playoffs.  I don't recall any similar blatant targeting in the modern NBA except against Luka.  I think a lot of opposing players really hate the guy.  I think they also are embracing a smart strategy.  A Luka high-ankle sprain likely takes the Mavs out of the playoffs.

During a televised time out OKC coach yelled to his players “more collisions’. No one commented but I agree with you that what we are seeing is very purposeful and is likely coming from their coach of the year. Of course maybe it’s not just referees that some hate Luka. We can speculate as to why but then some people just hate Dallas or Cuban. Hopefully the NBA office is as aware of this as they were for needed defense refereeing changes.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024 Playoffs- 2nd Round: Oklahoma City Thunder - Dallas Mavericks - by Reunion Mav - 05-15-2024, 06:09 PM