Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Playoffs- 2nd Round: Oklahoma City Thunder - Dallas Mavericks- MAVS WIN 4-2!
(05-09-2024, 12:54 PM)mvossman Wrote: I think the biggest reason for Doncic's low on/off numbers is that his primary backup for several seasons was a currently top 10 NBA player going up against second units.  I realize Brunson is not then what he is now, but most stars do not have that quality of a player coming in when they go to the bench.

I agree with this rationale, but I ALSO think Luka, great as he is, has some ways to go in the area of applying his astonishing skills in such a way that contributes to team success. 

The roster could always be better, sure, but I don't think it has been as bad as the group-think around here has bemoaned for the past few seasons. Right now, I'd say it's up there with all but maybe 3-4 teams, especially when Kleber is healthy, and there's opportunity to get better as they get more comfortable with each other. 

The bulk of the improvement, as I see it, will need to come from Luka, and from coaching. I think Donnie Nelson had it right a few years back when he did that radio interview. As a scorer, Luka has already arrived at the top of the talent/basketball IQ pool, but as a PG he has 2-3 more levels to reach before the Mavs can be in the national conversation of contenders. That's why he's not winning MVP's.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, LifeAquatic
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024 Playoffs- 2nd Round: Oklahoma City Thunder - Dallas Mavericks - by KillerLeft - 05-09-2024, 01:05 PM