Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 28: Dallas Mavericks (16-11) @ Houston Rockets (13-12)
(12-23-2023, 09:44 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I assume you meant OMax.  I think you are correct here.  He's kind of the anti-Hardy.  When you try to force Hardy to do things he can't, he tends to disappoint.  Dallas has probably ruined his trade value trying to turn him into a 5 tool guy when he's much more limited than that.  They need to find his niche skill and build on that because right now he does nothing particularly well...master of none.

OMax on the other hand needs to be forced to do things other than standing in the corner.  He's shown an ability to get to the hole going back to the summer.  I'm not saying we should try to make him a ball handler.  But there are ways to design plays to take greater advantage of what he does best.

Right now we have three imperfect solutions at the four.  Until we can rely on his outside shot, OMax would be better served in a 5-out lineup (which we don't have available to us without Maxi at center or some center with an outside shot who isn't on the team yet).  DJJ is probably better as the third biggest guy on the court rather than the second.  He can guard up or down, but doesn't have the heft or rebounding to be our primary solution at the four.  And GWill...as I've said for a very long time...he's a bench player.

Yep, I meant OMAX.  I agree with your thoughts on him.

Hardy has really disappointed me.  Last nights game was similar to the games where he played last year where he could get 15-25 points.  IE games that don't matter.   His three percentage is down and he has been terrible finishing in the lane.  He also really struggles when he needs to initiate.  That is something he will need to get better at to be a long term NBA player.  Right now though he is better playing off ball.   The other parts of his game really need to improve.  I am hoping that this is the normal progression for a guy who has only known one way to play ball his whole life.  He needs to be better though.   Teams won't wait forever or a undersized score first guard.

I think I am almost there with your Grant Williams take from earlier in the year.  I assume there will be games where he hits 5 threes and looks great.  Not sure there is enough to count on him as a starter though when the shot is not falling.   May be best as a top 8 guy.   

It really is so important that the Mavs hit on that wing they are looking for in the trade market.   This player needs to be very skilled to mix and match with our other odd parts.   The issue is everyone in the league are looking at these players.   We won't be able to keep all of them but you see how some of our parts really start to work if we get that trade right.   Lively is more, but with him, OMAX, Green, Williams, Exum, Jones you see a group of guys who fill out the roster if you hit on that trade part.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • mvossman, Reunion Mav
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Game 28: Dallas Mavericks (16-11) @ Houston Rockets (13-12) - by Chicagojk - 12-23-2023, 10:18 AM