Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 120, Hornets 123
(01-05-2020, 03:35 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I disagree from the standpoint that 1) the Mavs have to improve their roster, both now and in the medium term, and 2) if they don't make a trade, they aren't going to have anything more than the MLE to do so this summer. Another consideration is how important 2021 cap room is to them. If they place a premium on that, then you can forget about a THJ + pick trade this summer, because THJ's value is in his expiration, so you're very unlikely to get anything back if you're protecting 2021 cap room.

You seem to be saying that it is absolutely necessary, in your view, that a trade occur, even if it is a bad one. A bad trade is worse than doing nothing. To wit, Rondo. Whether they are in a position to make a good trade depends on who is available, and for how much. If you walk into Tiffany's with 50 cents, you can't buy anything, even if it would clearly upgrade the bling you're wearing. The Mavs will still have essentially the assets they have now to trade in the summer, minus expiring contracts and the TE. 

I personally think that preserving 2021 cap room is very important to them, and that they will only sacrifice that if they get the kind of player that they are, in effect, preserving cap room for. Not at all sure they even want to trade THJ, although I agree he isn't untouchable for the right compensation. 

If the Mavs want cap room in 2021, and want to be competitive at an at least minimally acceptable level next year, I would say that a 2020 "we love our boys in blue" trade deadline is binarily and absolutely unacceptable to me as a Mavs fan. Not that Cuban cares what I think. But I will break things first if we don't make a trade at the deadline, and again if we don't throw out 2021 for a THJ/pick trade

You seem to be arguing for a desperation, throw-something-at-the-wall type of transaction, which I can't imagine you really think is advantageous. Maybe you're hyperbolizing for effect. They should make a wise trade, if something becomes available. But I can understand why they don't want to give up their chance at Giannis or another game-changer for some rando who can be attained for an expiring contract and a second-round pick. Having said that, in light of their previous Plan Powder debacles, I can also see how you are skeptical that they will accomplish much in free agency. 
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 120, Hornets 123 - by mavsluvr - 01-05-2020, 03:49 PM