Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIBA Qualifying Tournament: USA loses to Germany|Gold medal between Germany+Serbia
(09-10-2023, 02:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Absolutely. That's the case for dozens of guys. Rest assured, they start at LeBron/Durant/Curry when building these rosters and work their way down. I honestly don't think the average American gives it a second thought. Even now, after not winning this thing, most American basketball fans won't care because it's not even the olympics. All we truly follow is the NBA, and even the olympics don't really drum up interest unless they fail to win gold. Then, it gets discussed for a week or two. 

I have read your words about how the Slovenian national team is viewed, and while I can't relate, I do UNDERSTAND. I'm not suggesting that a cultural shift is called for here. That's obviously nobody's place to even think about, other than people from your country. However, I will be pissed as a Mavs fan if Luka's season is impacted by an injury that could've been remedied by sitting out of this thing, especially thinking about the generational wealth he'll earn for this one season, alone. 

It's not an easy conversation, let alone an easy problem to solve. That's for sure. I'm just being honest. 

Let me ask you this, because I'm genuinely curious, as this might be yet another cultural difference, seeing as our thinking is a little more infected with capitalism than some other countries: Is there any thinking by the average Slovenian that an annual salary of $40 million comes with an ethical (perhaps even moral) obligation to make some sacrifices to ensure the best chances possible to perform at a high level?

I can totally understand the problem between being paid by the team and playing for NT. Much different situation between USA and Slovenia, as USA has huge depth and can still put together a very good team even if a lot of best players refuse to play. Although, as we could see from last events, only the best version of USA is still good enough.

One thing to note. All those players performing for NT are insured and insurance usually needs to be paid by the national association. The team is not really paying players for nothing, if they get injured. Fans are the ones losing. But, so is the player. His career will suffer if he gets injured, especially if you are not a star. For example, Cancar NBA days are probably over because of the season ending injury he suffered in WC preparations. 

I think the big problem is that players are made to play way too much games. If you are in the playoffs and attend the NT action, you play something like 120 games in a season. It used to be a bit different. NBA players were not allowed to compete in FIBA until 1992 and European competitions had far less games in a season. Something like 40 games of the national league and some 10 European games or so. Now that has increased exponentially even in Europe and Euroleague guys play similar number of games as NBA players. The more games played, the more money is made. At all levels of competitions. But I don't think bodies can hold that much effort. 

As for specific case of Luka. This time, he had plenty of rest since April. Of course he he was training most of the time. But trainings can be easily adjusted so that the injured muscle rests while you still work out. I find it quite strange that March injury would still be nagging. He could have easily take 2 months off to heal the injury and have plenty of time to prepare for world cup.

To answer your specific question. I think average fan puts National team as the most sacred duty. Teams are where the money is made, but NT is where legends are made. Success with Slovenia has 10 times the weight compared to success with team. Slovenia also has one of top hockey players in NHL (Kopitar with LA Kings). Similar as Luka in basketball, by far the best player Slovenia had. But because he rarely plays for the NT, so he is not a great star in the country, even though he won two Stanley cups.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • Dahlsim, KillerLeft
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
JamesConway912 - by JamesConway912 - 09-10-2023, 11:05 AM
RE: JamesConway912 - by WillE - 09-10-2023, 03:30 PM
RE: FIBA Qualifying Tournament: USA loses to Germany|Gold medal between Germany+Serbia - by omahen - 09-10-2023, 06:26 PM