Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Luka Doncic And the Prevailing Power of the Pass
(03-07-2023, 11:07 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: He's never really had an issue doing this before, and it was quite obvious he was hampered against the Suns.

Luka never lead a ball moving offense, if we call it this way. It is always a static type of offense with him (or another ball handler) attacking the defense, usually a mismatch, and if the defense helps he passes or he finishes himself. Suns were not doubling him and Mavs were seeking a mismatch against Payne. Luka made one field goal and went to the line twice in this stretch. Once was a rather unfortunate offensive foul when it seemed the defense was already beaten. I would say that only the very last shot was forced. They were waiting the clock and then run nothing, that should be better. The other turnover was an attempted pass. 

As for the defense - as you said. Mavs were actively leaving open Phoenix non star wings, even CP3. Okogie, Wainright and Craig were a combined 5-17 from three, that is 29 %.  Right with the quality of these guys shooting. It was just a coincidence Wainright hit those threes in that stretch. 

It is interesting to note though, that Luka lead offense really took a shot after the injury. But I think it is mainly because his efficiency dropped and number of TO increased. Defensively he is way more static than he was in the first half of the season. I can't say why. It might be that some minor injuries are bothering him (a thigh injury was mentioned). My theory would be, that he simply burned out due to high load he had to carry in the first part. I think he is recharging the batteries for playoffs. Of course Mavs need to get there first.

Stats are really weird. Mavs pace is actually faster without Irving on the floor in the last 8 games and slightly faster when Luka is on court compared to when he is not. The highest difference in pace on/off is for Bullock (higher pace when he doesn't play) and Holliday (the other way around compared to Bullock).
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Luka Doncic And the Prevailing Power of the Pass - by omahen - 03-07-2023, 12:14 PM