Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Luka Doncic And the Prevailing Power of the Pass
Thanks SH for the post. I remember posting in the game thread that the slow down ISO ball they were playing at the end of the 3rd hurt them on both ends as not only does the offense go stagnant, but its clear the whole team scrambles more on defense when they are more involved on the offensive end too. 

I didn't realize that he literally never passed the ball during that time. It felt like that was the case, but I didn't think it actually would be, so that was eye opening. 

I too believe Luka to have unbelievable offensive talents, but aside from LeBron, I can't think of a team that relies on a heliocentric offense winning many championships. Jordan was a dominant scorer and shooting guard (and the GOAT), but his teams had point guards and others were involved and had roles to play when they started winning rings.

And even with LeBron and his otherworldly athleticism, defensive ability, and BB IQ, it took a lot of adjusting, and acquiescing to LeBron, for teams to accommodate that style, and even when they did, they sometimes lost championships to teams with lesser overall talent but with better team ball play (Dallas, San Antonio).

I just don't think alot of players want to play on a team with that type of offense (see Brunson), where they have to stand and watch, and I don't think its conducive to championship level play overall.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Luka Doncic And the Prevailing Power of the Pass - by LifeAquatic - 03-06-2023, 11:59 PM