Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 117, 76ers 98
(12-21-2019, 01:42 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Luka-Less Mavs Demolish Sixers in Philadelphia
Second home loss of season has Philly fans booing their team.

Game Story and Analytics

The Sixers lost their last game to the Heat when Spoelstra switched to a zone defense. Rick Carlisle, never one to miss a trick, took note. He said after the game that he knew the team would have to resort to the zone sooner or later, because the matchup was so unfavorable to the Mavs. He broke it out four minutes in, to notable success. Brett Brown, in his postgame presser, said he thought his team had been confused and depressed by the zone, and he needs to get them more ready to play against this type of defense. Kudos to Carlisle for his strategy, and for the team for executing!

Players

Porzingis (37 min). KP had a MONSTER game, ...
Hardaway (32 min). Hardaway was brilliant in stretches here, stepping up to help fill Luka's huge scoring shoes. Mark Followill described Tim's first quarter as "volcanic," when he went off for 19 points and was unstoppable. He resumed putting points up later in the game and ended as the team's leading scorer with 27 points, including 7-11 3PTAs. When he is on a hot streak, he's a veritable scoring tornado!

Embiid. Joel burned the Mavs with 33 points and 17 boards, but looked out of sorts, notwithstanding. Harp called him out for not making his teammates more effective. At the post-game interview, his body language was dispirited, as he seemed bewildered at why his team is losing, and felt they were "playing scared."

Random Observations

The home fans were none too pleased with their team's limp displays against Dallas, booing them off the floor at a few junctures, and leaving early. Heh-heh-heh.

Former Mavs Michael Finley and Shawn Marion were nominated to the Naismith Hall of Fame today. Congratulations, Fin and Matrix!

Remarks

Analysts. Dana and Ced's takeaway: This Mavericks team is for real!

Next. Toronto in Canada on Sunday afternoon. Toronto is one of the East's giants, but has been decimated by injuries, with Gasol, Siakam, and Powell expected to be out for them. Luka is not expected to play.

On a personal front, I will have family in for the holidays through the rest of the year. I am not sure how much Mavs I will be able to watch or write about during that time. So I may or may not be able to do some or any of the postgame reports. I'll do the best I can. Meantime, hope everyone has a very happy holiday season!

Go Mavs!

Yeah, its really good times to see the return of KP to this level before even getting to the 1/2 way mark of his first season back.
Silver lining on the Luka injury for sure. 

Brett Brown, in his postgame presser, said he thought his team had been confused and depressed by the zone, and he needs to get them more ready to play against this type of defense. Kudos to Carlisle for his strategy, and for the team for executing!
This is pretty telling.  Everyone and their mom knew after the Heat used the zone to dismantle the Sixers last game that Rick Carlisle coming to town was going to be round 2.  His team wasn't ready for it?  Brown's processing days may be numbered ...

Can't forget THJ here.  Such a streaky shooter, but man, when he's on he can just take over and put your team into cruise control after his scoring outburst.  He's making his coach look really smart, for sticking with him even after bad shooting games. 

Good times in Mavs land! 
Great work Mavsluvr!  Enjoy a merry Christmas and happy 2020.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 117, 76ers 98 - by Dahlsim - 12-21-2019, 09:05 AM