Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PRESEASON GAME 1: DAL @ OKC | 98-96 win
(10-07-2022, 07:40 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: And in one summer, the Mavs have made themselves look more like that overmatched team, defensively (by signing one of their actual players, no less) and even slightly compromised the offensive fear they used to put into teams like the Suns.

I feel like there is this assumption that we have to play McGee.  I don't think that is the case, particularly in a playoff game.  If he turns out to be a negative impact on defense against all opposing lineups due to the need for switching, then he does not see the court.  I think there will generally be times even in playoff games where having his bulk, rebounding and rim protection will be more positive than negative, but when that is not the case he sits.  All of his previous teams handled him that way, and there is no reason we can't.  We still have the switchable defender he is replacing on the team.

In the playoffs you don't want to rely on a high minutes, high dollar player that can be run off the court, but in my mind having the option to throw out a guy like McGee at times is a positive, and something we did not have last year.

I can see the argument to go a different direction to improve our switch ability, but I'm not sure who that guy would have been for the tax MLE?
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DallasMaverick, ItsGoTime, MFFL
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: PRESEASON GAME 1: DAL @ OKC | 98-96 win - by mvossman - 10-07-2022, 09:19 AM