Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PRESEASON GAME 1: DAL @ OKC | 98-96 win
(10-07-2022, 07:42 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: If you are arguing (which you seem to be) that Wood as the lone big allows you to play a switch-heavy style defensively, I think you are going to be disappointed. 

I am arguing that the Mavs had an approach last year, and that the approach was at least partially responsible for their success. Did they need improvement within that approach? Most definitely. 

What I don't accept is the thinking that because they couldn't find a player who fits like a glove into that approach they should change approaches. Focus on another position, then, live with Kleber/Powell one more season. Or, honestly, as many as necessary until you can find the right guy. 

I have no illusions about whether Wood is Kleber. None. My thinking is that if he's going to fit into a championship approach, it's never going to be as a 4 (at least, in any usual sense) and that the 5 is really his only option with the way the game is played today. My thinking is that if he can't do that, he should probably be seeking employment in China or Greece or something. I have no interest in changing the approach to suit someone who isn't up to what's needed from him. I believe things should flow in the other direction. 

To contradict what I just wrote in the last post, the idea that he'll come off the bench lends a little bit of credit to the idea that the Mavs (or some of them) might agree with me, and that they're saying "get better at defense if you want to play." This has been @"F Gump"'s take all summer, and I think there's some logic to it. Again, we just won't know until we know.

(10-07-2022, 07:42 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: My belief, at least in your 'first 20 games' is that we will see as much or more Powell as we do Wood as the lone big.  It is unknowable at the moment.

I think you're absolutely right. I just don't like it. But not because of Powell. I'd have been just fine sliding Powell right back into his role from last year and not messing with McGee, personally.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: PRESEASON GAME 1: DAL @ OKC | 98-96 win - by KillerLeft - 10-07-2022, 08:43 AM