Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PRESEASON GAME 1: DAL @ OKC | 98-96 win
I think the overall success of switch heavy defense schemes is undeniable. The individual skill level of players is getting better and better and it is nearly impossible to hide bad defenders or in this case slow bigs on defense.
If we are looking at last years playoffs I would argue that the CFs featured the top 3 switching teams (Celtics, Heat, Warriors) and the Mavs (also playing small with Kleber/Powell). Doesn´t mean that it isn´t possible to beat them with superior talent or unique players that allow teams to play more traditional bigs (for example Giannis covering a lot of space for the Bucks) but given the choice it just feels like it is easier to build around a modern switching scheme.

Last year it looked like the Mavs were on the right trajectory. At least to me potential McGee/Wood or Powell/Wood lineups would be a step in the wrong direction. Watching the Suns I wasn´t concerned about McGee´s or Biyombo´s great rim protection. Because I knew that a good team will simply scheme them out of the game and force them to defend the perimeter. And I don´t think that there is anyway to prevent that from happening. Even the best rim protectors in the league are getting exploited.

Would take a special talent for me to be on board with an "oldschool" big. And I don´t think any of the guys that are worth the defensive struggles are available right now (I am talking about Embiid, Jokic...maybe Towns).
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: PRESEASON GAME 1: DAL @ OKC | 98-96 win - by dirkfansince1998 - 10-06-2022, 01:35 PM