Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I'm sorry but I'm done with Powell
(04-24-2022, 02:49 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Luka will learn with more experience. 30 seconds left in a playoff game with a 1-pt lead...you are not going to run a screen/roll action with a player who is 7th in scoring/shot attempts. The Jazz were glad that he passed to Powell so they could foul him with 20 seconds on the clock instead of milking the clock and leaving only 7 seconds left.

From a basketball perspective, that was technically the right play (aside from running it way too early) but from an NBA perspective, the opposing team is thrilled if you are letting a player not used to those situations decide the game there. That would be like the Mavs defense forcing the ball to go to Danuel House in the same situation.

It´s also a question that should be asked about the coaching staff. Why is Powell out there and not Bertans, the Mavs best career FT shooter?

But I´m not done with Powell, because he missed two FTs. That happens.

This is Erick Dampier 2.0. We are always playing 4 on 5 offense in every play-off game, when he´s on the floor. If you add Luka´s heroball tendencies, the whole offense becomes a lot more predictable for Utah than the "five man equal"-offense with Kleber, that confused the Jazz so much and got us the 2-1 lead.

Powell had six points through three games for crying out loud. The Clippers took him out of the play-offs the last two years.

We don´t necessarily need to get rid of Powell as a roleplayer, but we need a better starting center or an additional more traditional center that provides defense and some scoring threat beyond Luka lobs. And if Powell stays, for the love of god, he´ll be 31 years old next summer, don´t offer him more than $4-5M a year.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
I'm sorry but I'm done with Powell - by Branduil - 04-23-2022, 06:21 PM
RE: I'm sorry but I'm done with Powell - by Mavs2021 - 04-24-2022, 04:35 PM
RE: I'm sorry but I'm done with Powell - by cow - 04-25-2022, 12:12 PM