Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I'm sorry but I'm done with Powell
(04-24-2022, 02:49 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Luka will learn with more experience. 30 seconds left in a playoff game with a 1-pt lead...you are not going to run a screen/roll action with a player who is 7th in scoring/shot attempts. The Jazz were glad that he passed to Powell so they could foul him with 20 seconds on the clock instead of milking the clock and leaving only 7 seconds left.

From a basketball perspective, that was technically the right play (aside from running it way too early) but from an NBA perspective, the opposing team is thrilled if you are letting a player not used to those situations decide the game there. That would be like the Mavs defense forcing the ball to go to Danuel House in the same situation.

The Mavs dont have enough other weapons to dictate things. Its not like we have entire team of great players and the opponents can chose their poison. It had to be Powell, or DFS, or Bullock, or Maxi. All these have not done these things before, to decide playoff games regularly with experience and could all be prone to miss in these situations. Jazz took care of doubling Luka and covering Brunson and SD. From there on , you are fine with anyone else deciding the game.

(04-24-2022, 11:33 AM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: I’m more upset with Maxi than I am Powell. The Mavs needed another 25-30 min game from Maxi - like game 2. Instead, they only got 18 minutes (and only 4 shot attempts) because of his 6 fouls. Maxi has to be smarter playing with 4 or 5 fouls. Maxi gives the Mavs’ the best option for playing 5-out while also not giving the Jazz an easy target on defense.

Powell wasn’t even bad yesterday. People are forgetting the difficult lob he converted into a layup at 3:23 and the 2 clutch free throws that he made at 1:43. He also initially had the stop (with a clean vertical challenger while getting elbowed in the face) on Mitchell at 0:32.

I agree that Powell plays well. He is the key to the great defensive movements we see, and the rotation and switces on defense. But also offense. He has great positioning on offense, and is good in re-distributing the ball to others. He does it with immense pace for a big guy. You can see a clear drop off for instance if Maxi is trying to set screens and pass the ball further to teammates, with Powell, this is super smooth and quick. Powell's quickness is the key for both out defensive but also offensive gameplans. He will be much more a factor with Luka in the lineup.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
I'm sorry but I'm done with Powell - by Branduil - 04-23-2022, 06:21 PM
RE: I'm sorry but I'm done with Powell - by burekemde - 04-24-2022, 03:02 PM
RE: I'm sorry but I'm done with Powell - by cow - 04-25-2022, 12:12 PM