Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 114, Lakers 100
(12-03-2019, 02:18 AM)Dundalis Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 07:53 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 02:59 PM)Dundalis Wrote: That being they weren't willing to spend what it would take to bring in any of the other mid tier guys that were even willing to consider Dallas, having likely scoped out contract requirements. They obviously understand that the player/s they choose to spend money on, could lock them in a spot once Luka starts his second contract. So obviously who they decide to use that money on is an important decision.
Man, I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud here, but with the exception of Boban, every FA (and re-sign) they signed was a long term (beyond '21) contract. So I have a hard time believing this to be the case.

(12-02-2019, 02:59 PM)Dundalis Wrote: I don't think they were thinking that they need to get the last 1 or 2 pieces to try and finish the roster to contend ASAP. They are being more patient with it (which obviously as fans, we wanna put it all together right now).
I wasn't thinking getting 1 or 2 pieces put them into contention at the time either, I thought it would solidify their playoff berth/positioning. My point is getting better players is better or, filling in your starters before you get the bench mob up to snuff. If they had more solid starters right now with a lesser bench mob, I think next FA is so much easier to either find the fillers for the bench or decide who they got that doesn't fit and trade them out until they find the exact fit. That process was stymied IMO by a year cause they didn't get the starting quality guys in the roles needed. Of course, an in-season trade CAN change that and I hope it does, but as of now, to give Donnie credit for the work he did, I don't think is the right way to celebrate this win.

Also, to that point, I'm really sorry for derailing your after game report mavsluvr. I've said my peace, I'll not talk about this further unless it's in a more appropriate thread.
It doesn't matter that every FA was signed to a long term contract if you've done the math, which the Mavs FO certainly did. They were carefully constructed to ensure that despite the contracts they handed out, they still have likely a max slot in 2021. At this point they will have around 85 million projected salary for the start of the 21-22 season. The projected salary cap for next season is 117 million. If you project an increase from that for 21-22, they easily have a max slot.

Your whole premise on this is about filling out the roster. That ignores the planning that goes into identifying who the right players are (or type of player) to basically lock the team in for the forseeable future by giving up that future cap space and to give them flexibility to have time to target the player they want over the next few years. If they thought the players available weren't worth locking in, based on doing so effectively taking them out of the race to be players in a particularly future FA class if they have planned to do just that, then they don't make any further moves. It's as simple as that if you have that plan in place as a GM. Donnie clearly said at the end of last season, that this a league where it's all about star power. If they have the opportunity to acquire a third star, even if it means they have to be patient and wait a season or two, they would rather do that than fill out the roster with solid players, locking their roster in. You can find ways to acquire depth afterwards.

The Mavs are also 4th in the Western Conference with the best offense in league history without adding these starters you've mentioned. No process has been stymied whatsoever.

I don't really agree with all of this, but it was very impressively said.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 114, Lakers 100 - by Scott41theMavs - 12-03-2019, 02:01 PM