Poll: Who finishes the game with more points?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Tatum
14.29%
1 14.29%
Luka
85.71%
6 85.71%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 68: DAL (42-26) vs. BOS (41-28)| 95-92 WIN!
(03-14-2022, 12:21 PM)Winter Wrote: Personally, I don't feel like there are any starters in "bad" need of an upgrade. Our rotation players need an upgrade at certain positions, but not so much the starters. I believe Bullock is doing exactly what he's supposed to be doing... and Powell too for the most part.

I've never fully understood the disdain for Powell. His problem now is only with a peculiar mismatch at the center position. He can be bullied. But finding a replacement means finding a replacement who can't be bullied, AND who is just as smart and adaptable on the pick-and-roll, the ability to screen well, and to be able to move through switches defending wings. That's not that easy to replace. Centers who great at rebounds generally aren't guys who great at guarding wings on the perimeter. 

We probably don't give our offensive and defensive "systems" enough credit... and our player's collective intelligence at knowing where to be within the system. We have a low turnover rate, and I think a high IQ system that every player has bought into. We were lucky Dinwiddie found his footing so quickly. It appears to be very good chemistry.

In regards to upgrades, I think Kleber has a short shelf-life and will probably need replacing soon - which will be difficult. Bertans will likely need another home at that salary even if his shot improves. You could trade for a stronger rotation with any combination of those players plus Burke, Green, Frankie, Boban and Brown. That's your working group (right now) to provide one or two stronger rotation players. You certainly need a one or two big players who can at least rebound. Any trade right now that includes Including Green will likely need to be a significant trade with someone needing to shed a solid 25-30 MPG player. Same with Hardaway should he be traded. I personally think Hardaway is a good anchor for this rotation currently, so we'd better get something in return. The rest of the starters are running like a well-oiled machine. Taking out Boston on their home court was nothing short of miraculous. Their defense was the best I'd seen this season in the NBA.

To say that Powell should not be starting/finishing games is not disdain.  He is a quality rotational player, but his lack of rim protection and rebounding is a problem.  I don't think he would be that hard to improve upon.  Holmes is a potential cheap option, but there will be others.

Don't see how we are going to find a home for Bertans.  We don't have the assets to dump that contract right now.

Not sure about THJ.  He lost his starting job and was losing minutes before the injury, and they were supposedly shopping him at the deadline.  That does not sound like a rotation anchor.  He is the more likely candidate to find another home for.  It won't be nearly as expensive to dump him as Bertans.

Of all the players you mentioned, Green is the only one that has any trade value at all.  The rest are salary filler or negative assets.  Its going to be tough to upgrade this roster significantly.  I think the most likely path is to use the pick to both dump salary and upgrade the frontcourt.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GAME 68: DAL (42-26) vs. BOS (41-28)| 95-92 WIN! - by mvossman - 03-14-2022, 01:55 PM