Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 99, Clippers 114
Two things. Well actually three.

Interior defense and rebounding
Without KP in the game the Mavs give up layups. I have seen a lot of Powell as a single big this season and do not like it. The Clippers bullied both on the glass. The lack of boxouts is driving me crazy and it has been a problem all year long.
I won´t blame it solely on KP and Powell though. Rebounding is a team effort and if your bigs are struggling they need help. Luka is probably the best rebounder on the team and actually does a better job against guys like Harrell, Harkless or Tucker (last game) than Powell but it is probably not the best solution to waste his energy that way. DFS and Delon are solid as well.
We have to talk about THJ (29 min 1 reb), Curry (19 min 2reb) and Brunson (13 min 1reb). They combine for 61 minutes of playing time and 4 rebounds. If we include Barea (16 min 2reb) who probably won´t play in most games that makes 6 rebs in 77 minutes.
It´s not like the Clippers beat us with a single guy. They had 7 players with 5+ rebounds.

Perimeter defense
Notice a pattern. Offense isn´t the Mavs problem on most nights. Defense is a big one. Who is the best perimeter defender on the roster.
Delon? Probably slightly above average onball. Makes most of his impact as a team defender. Jumping passing lanes and playing help defense.
DFS? By default? Only semi athletic wing but in my opinion he is more of a hustle guy. Good rebounder (especially on offense) probably average on defense. Asking him to defend the best opposing player without any help is not going to work.
Luka? Honestly think that when he is giving 100% effort he might be the best against players like George or Kawhi but he is obviously trying to save some energy.

Offensive scheme
When the 5-out motion offense is working the Mavs are the best offense in the league. Pick and roll plays with Luka as the ballhandler are unguardable because the defense cannot take away all options. Floater, lob/inside pass, kick out pass or pass to a cutter. One option will be available and the Mavs will get a high percentage look nearly all the time. Problem is that the entire concept is based on the Mavs ability to hit 3s. The Clippers gave up the 3 but the Mavs could not punish them.
Which offers the question...what can they do on a cold shooting night. Does it make sense to change the scheme? What are the Mavs options?
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 99, Clippers 114 - by dirkfansince1998 - 11-27-2019, 11:31 AM