Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 99, Clippers 114
(11-27-2019, 10:15 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(11-27-2019, 08:54 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Bruisers have a history of not being especially effective in Carlisle's systems. But I agree that, at a minimum, they need a full-size center who can also move around well. I would not be opposed to keeping Powell around, but ideally, he would come off the bench, where he actually might provide an impactful punch.
I feel like you haven't met RC's Det or Indiana teams. Our championship team had a bruiser or two (I would call Butler, Stevenson and Kidd bruisers) and some tough nosed guys (JJB and TC) on it too. Just need a few guys that will be able to punch back when it comes to that. Luka is great with absorbing the damage, but he doesn't have the mindset that he could have to do this a bit too. I really think Favors and Crowder would be the perfect fit with these guys. In the sense that they're probably pretty gettable and fill the need we have. I think Adams is out of our price range of tradable assets (at least it seems that OKC is content with his contract), unless THJ makes his contract a non-issue.
A fair point, although the game has changed a lot since then, and the importance of bruisers has diminished throughout the league. You are referencing former Mavs with a defensive mentality, except maybe Barea, which isn't really all I meant by a bruiser. I am talking about a guy who is really huge, and really strong, and is able and willing to outmuscle any big man they run at him. Of course, in the modern NBA, he also has to have skills, and it remains to be seen whether they can secure a guy like that, assuming that they even want to. 

I think you are right that they also need more size and strength on the wings, which might be an even higher priority than a big man, given the plethora of excellent wings around the league, as compared to centers. One of Cuban's traditional methods of getting "value" players is to load up on undersized guys. That will probably work to get them to the playoffs, but at the higher levels, it's a real disadvantage not to have some players with size and power to throw at the other team. Luka being a large PG has been a big plus. 

The Mavs elected not to bring Crowder back because they thought he was too expensive for the value he brought in their system, but it's possible that has changed. I haven't followed him closely, but I understand he has developed a three-point shot, which would be very helpful. Of course, it would be ideal to upgrade to another star in that position. They will have money to spend, but as we know all too well, that doesn't always translate into elite players.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 99, Clippers 114 - by mavsluvr - 11-27-2019, 10:40 AM