Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 99, Clippers 114
(11-27-2019, 09:08 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: This game really showed how far the Mavs are from contention. The Clippers have built a championship roster. They come at you in so many ways.  Offensiviely and defensively. Very impressive team. Enough about them. Lets talk Mavs.

I thought the Mavs began to look just mentally and physically exhausted later on in the game. Wherever they turned, there was Kawhi, or George, or Harkless, or Harrell, or Williams, etc. It was relentless. 

Luka- This may of been his worst game of the season, outside the Denver game. The Clippers were physical with him as soon as he came across midcourt. He was 0 for 8 on threes. All of those 3 were tightly contested too. I think his 3 point game is what gets him going, if he's struggling there then look out. All that physical play sent him to the free line a ton, but it also took a lot out of him. Not to mention running a second defender at him.  I think we'll see teams try to guard Luka this way in the future.  That's where we need our 2nd superstar to step up.

It seemed to me that Luka had a look of desperation in the fourth quarter, as it dawned on him that he was out of ideas, and the rest of the players and coaches were not able to help him. My biggest worry about Luka long term is that he grows disillusioned if the Mavs don't put the right horses around him, and he goes off to join a superteam, a la KD. 

KP- We've all realized he is just a 7'3" outside shooter.  He is not a guy that can post up, drive around a defender,  or create on his own. He is a catch and shoot guy only. Mix in lobs and put backs, that's what he is. He cannot takeover a game when Luka is off like last night. This wont be enough to get us to championship contention. We need a 2nd scorer who can create and score.

I think that is the real issue. Teams will ultimately figure out ways to defend Luka, and someone else needs to be able to step up. Maybe KP will learn to do that, but he's not there yet. 

Powell- I hope he is still hurt or rounding into shape. He looked horrible last night. Bad passes, fumbling and falling over. It was ugly. He is not starter material for this team. Our hole is the 5 spot right now. Powell offers no rebounding, no help side defense, he cant guard the stronger inside guys. He and KP are too small to bang with the big boys. We need a bully on the inside or this team will get manhandled come playoff time.

Powell is a bench guy who has been Peter Principled. He seems like a fine person and a good locker room guy, but on a contending team, he belongs on the second unit, unless a starter is unavailable. 

Barea- So is he our little spark plug when the team needs a boost? Barea comes in and scores, great. But he is a horrible fit next to Luka. JJB has always been and always will be a blackhole when gets the ball. He over dribbles, doesn't look to pass, and takes his own shots. It completely takes Luka out of the game. I'm ok with JJ coming off the bench for 10 minutes but he should spend 0 minutes with Luka.

Actually, I think Barea and Luka can play together. I agree that he has a tendency to over dribble and to call his own number, but in fairness, he has been brought on this season for the specific purpose of providing a scoring punch. Luka is effective playing off the ball, and having another playmaker on the floor might be a way of giving him a bit of a mental rest while keeping him on the court. Having said that, I don't expect JJB to be a starter, but I don't see a problem with him playing a few minutes with Luka now and then. 

Brunson- What is going on with him? He's had a few good games, but he's  lost out there for most of the year. He doesn't fit in the starting group with Luka, so his role on this team is on the bench.  When he comes in he shares the floor with Wright and Curry. Two other small guards. Either he is not comfortable with his role, or something else is going on. I think he is a prime trade candidate to be added on to someone like Powell, Lee, or Hardaway Jr. come trade deadline.

Agree that it is unclear what the plan is with Brunson. Agree that he is far from untouchable.

When Hardaway Jr. starts, this bench is exposed. We have no one who can score consistently. Having Brunson on the court with Curry and Wright is atrocious. This would have been a good game for Jackson to get minutes.

That is a downside of using THJ as a starter, although he can still spend some minutes with the second unit. I know no one wants to hear this, but I think the organization's focus this season is Luka and KP, and it wouldn't shock me if most or all of these role players were cycled out in a season or two. And the ones that are kept will hopefully have more limited roles. 

My take from this game is much like a lot of others. This team will need an upgrade or two before we go anywhere.  We have a superstar in Luka and then a nice piece in KP. Then we have the rest who are all role players on decent teams. We need to combine a few of these guys and round out this team.

To get to the Clippers' level, they probably have to rehaul the roster, if we're being realistic. I don't think it's any emergency, as their goal this season is to perfect the Luka-KP combo and make the playoffs, and they are in good shape to have a shot at that if everyone stays healthy. I think they would like to be in a position to make a deeper run next season. 
Interesting thoughts. I am looking forward to seeing how it all unfolds.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 99, Clippers 114 - by mavsluvr - 11-27-2019, 09:48 AM