Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 137, Rockets 123
(11-25-2019, 04:59 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 04:46 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-25-2019, 04:37 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I think Powell would look great in another team's uniform.

Trading Powell would be selling at the lowest point possible. We've seen him play well before. I'm pretty sure he's not going to play like this the whole season.
Post All-Star Powell could propel our offense to uncharted heights that was once thought impossible...

Agreed.  But, last 8 games Powell is doing just fine.  He's shooting .694 from the field and the team is +11.7 in net rating when he's in the game with Luka and KP (Maxi is net negative next to the unicorns).  Powell has been a net positive in 7 of those 8 games.  I'm starting with the Memphis game because it was the first time he really had an impact positive or negative (and I think he deserves a few games to get over his hammy injury).

What the people complaining about Powell's "production" are missing is how he impacts the game in other ways.  He's by far our best screen setter (lots of screen assists).  He helps Luka get into the lane and then occupies one and often two defenders which then frees Luka to get all the way to the basket.  Powell should command that kind of attention because the point production of a lob to Powell is greater than the point production of a Luka attempt within 3 feet.  If someone is cheating to help on Powell, it opens up DFS, THJ and KP (the initial brothers) for open 3's.  Powell's singular super-power is a huge part of why everyone else is playing so productively on offense.

I wouldn't mind seeing another big on the team.  Not a starter level guy, but last night with both Maxi and Powell getting into early foul trouble, we were really thin at the position.  Same if one of KP, Maxi and Powell gets injured.  I think we have too many guard types.  I like the Wright/Brunson pairing off the bench, and I like THJ and DFS playing with the starters.  To me, the odd man out is Curry and with Barea still around, I'd rather have another big than Curry.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 137, Rockets 123 - by DanSchwartzgan - 11-25-2019, 11:31 PM