Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SIMMONS AND VOULGARIS DISH ON THE MAVS
(11-27-2021, 02:50 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Curry-JR trade 

This trade had already been agreed to when he joined, but he understands why the Mavs thought they had to make Seth available. With Seth, you had too many guys in the lineup who couldn’t defend, and Seth was a defensive target. He was outstanding offensively, but the team goal was not limited to having winning regular seasons, and it is tough to keep defensive liabilities on the floor in the playoffs. If Bob has a criticism of the trade, it is that the Mavs probably could have gotten something better in return than JR. 

Great summary, as always. 

I listened this one, and I think you missed the mark by just a little on the above snippet. 

The Curry trade wasn't agreed to before Voulgaris came on - it was almost a year into his tenure, which was right around two years long, I believe. In fact, he took credit for the Curry signing (2nd time) in the first place. What he said was something very close to "That wasn't my trade, but I did like Richardson very much, and I think they knew that." What you went on to summarize about his thoughts regarding the reasons to trade Curry and the thought (in hindsight) that they could/should've gotten more were pretty accurate, imo. 

I stickle for two reasons:

1) Voulgaris went out of his way to point out that while he wasn't directly responsible for dreaming that particular trade up, he didn't protest it at the time. 

2) This would seem to confirm the part of Cato/Amick's article describing how multiple people were working the phones with differing agendas, only communicating when things got close to fruition. I'm sure some measure of this approach happens with every team, but in the article (and another one - a GM survey) there were anonymous GM quotes stating that nobody actually knew who to deal with in Dallas. Nobody knew who was actually in charge. I think it's safe to say, at this point, that this part is at least partially true. I sure hope they've taken steps to tighten up their approach.

(11-27-2021, 05:14 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: omahen and hypermav,

I did have to make a trip to the emergency room, but am feeling much better by now. 

Stay hydrated, folks!

I hope you're feeling better!
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: SIMMONS AND VOULGARIS DISH ON THE MAVS - by KillerLeft - 11-27-2021, 05:32 PM