Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAACP sends letter to players to not sign with Texas teams. Mavs included
(11-01-2021, 01:52 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I have to ask....

What is traditional America?

Clearly that could open a can of worms couldn't it?  Wink  Political implication here right? That's where water gets muddy. 

I said it though, and apparently its a term that actually offensive now to some people?  
So let me try to keep it simple by defining what I mean, which admittedly is a challenge because I thought of it as kind of intuitive. 

Can we first agree that there is such a thing as traditions and that Americans have had their own over the course of it's existence as a nation? 

What are traditions?   
Tradition 
Quote:1) The passing down of elements of a culture from generation to generation, especially by oral communication. 

2) A mode of thought or behavior followed by a people continuously from generation to generation; a custom or usage. 

3) A set of such customs and usages viewed as a coherent body of precedents influencing the present: synonym: heritage.

So if we can agree on that, then we could list some areas of American traditions that have changed, even significantly changed, in recent times, let's say over the last couple of decades?   There's a been a lot of long standing traditions that have been changed, isn't that pretty obvious? 

Please notice I didn't say what they are, not yet, and I didn't say if the change is good or bad.  As soon as we do that, well you know what happens ... 

So if that is the case and we can agree on that then I can say that a group I dubbed traditional America would represent those holding more of the long standing traditions, values and views held before the more recent changes vs. those subscribing more to the newer changed values and behaviors, establishing new traditions if you will.  

I suppose that's where we get the ideas of conservatives and progressives but that makes it more purely political than I intend and it oversimplifies what is really happening.  Keep in mind views can be mixed, so we know people may not hold all the old views or subscribe to all the new views so there's that caveat. 

Still if we listed some of the major traditions of America that have changed, I think it would be pretty clear to most people which way they lean despite the mixture.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NAACP sends letter to players to not sign with Texas teams. Mavs included - by Dahlsim - 11-01-2021, 02:23 PM