Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much is too much for Deandre Ayton?
We all saw the news last week. Suns ownership is mulling over giving Ayton a full rookie max extension that could be worth up to 207 mil. The same extensions given to Luka, Trae, Shai Gilgeous Alexander, and just recently Michael Porter Jr. 

So what gives? The Suns are fresh off their first finals birth in over 30 years. It seems like on paper retaining the same core that led you to the biggest stage seems like a no brainer.

Ayton and his team have made it clear that they want nothing less than the max. So far in his young career, he's posted averages of 16ppg, 10.6rpg, and 1.9 stocks (bpg+spg). He played incredible defense throughout their playoff run last year making play after play against the likes of Anthony Davis, Giannis, and Jokic. And did I mention he's only 23?  Ok so we've established he's a clear up and comer. His counting stats don't paint him as an All-Star, much less all-NBA, but it's clear he is a major contributor to why the Suns took a leap. 

So I ask, how much is too much to give in a potential trade? Is everything on the table? Are we making that trade in mind to create a new twin towers scenario with KP? Or are we pivoting entirely? 

I ask because we have our own unicorn that on paper (and when healthy) beats Ayton in almost every category. I know we like to rag on KP and his defense, but when he's on the court and healthy, he produces. After 2 promising pre-season games where he looks more like the KP of old on defense, I am hesitant to just throw him in any trade. Is Ayton worth it? If it was up to me, Ayton is on paper the perfect big next to KP, as he excels in DP's strengths with fixing his weaknesses on defense. He is an elite roll finisher, as him and Paul combined for the most PnR in the league last season and finished at an average of 1.046 Points Per Chance. He also has a mid range game shooting it at about 50 %FG. 

This scenario is giving me deja vu, as I remember not too long ago Robert Sarver being unwilling to pay then up and coming SF Joe Johnson a hefty extension. Iso-Joe, then 23, just had back to back seasons of averaging 17ppg, and looked like the perfect wing player next to the Suns core of Nash and Stoudamire and Marion. Sarver wouldn't buckle and instead decided to sign and trade Johnson to the Hawks for 2 first round picks. 

I'd be more than willing to trade whatever picks we could. Empty the farm. Give them Brunson, Dorian, Powell (for salary) and 3 FRP's+ pickswaps. That amount of picks is reserved for the only the most elite, so I feel it makes up for the lack of punchy talent from a player's perspective. The Suns get cost controlled contracts and a replacement hustle big to take up Ayton's role. 

I'm curious to see what other people are willing to offer, and how much is too much? Especially considering Ayton comes with him a massive contract extension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMKr6hvn1nM&ab_channel=MaxaMillion711
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
How much is too much for Deandre Ayton? - by SleepingHero - 10-12-2021, 09:01 AM