Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUMMER LEAGUE: TT out w/ groin strain | JG not playing | Mavs go 1-4
(08-19-2021, 04:10 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I don´t think the individual players failed. The coaches and staff that build the roster set them up for failure.

I don't think result was the important part of this summer league. Also possible they expected more playmaking and got their answer regarding this aspect for sure Smile 

It is obvious the summer league team was collected with limited talent. I think Terry was the only guy who was actually drafted and even him just as a second round pick. So we had a collection of the guys who are obviously limited. We could say most of them have at least part of their game that could be considered close to elite, while severly lacking in other areas. Hunt is a great athlete with limited basic basketball skills, Onu is a great paint protecting defender who can switch on perimeter but has nothing else, Omoruyi and Hinton have NBA ready bodies and meh overall skills, Jones can get to the rim and create for himself but is not a good shooter or PG, Franks is a big wing with a decent defense and shot,... So if they can improve in one or more of those areas, they can become NBA players.

But lets be honest - shot for any of these guys to actualy make it is extremely low. There is only about 500 NBA players and 60 are drafted each year. Every year there will be a new set of hundreds of guys like them coming trying to make it, and they will be a year younger. Even in best case we are mainly thinking about these guys as end of the bench players anyway. Mavs are not in a position to give a couple of developmental seasons and minutes like they could give to DFS and Kleber. They are looking for guys who can contribute now. They gave DFS 20 mpg while he was scoring 5 ppg on below 30 % shooting, similar story with Maxi. There is no way any of these guys will get such an opportunity unless half a team would go down with injuries. We don't even know if a FRP Green will get anywhere close to that.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: SUMMER LEAGUE: TT out w/ groin strain | JG not playing | Mavs go 1-4 - by omahen - 08-19-2021, 04:41 AM