Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 3.92 Average
AROUND the NBA: DET Hires JB Bickerstaff as HC| KP To Miss Start of Next Season
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
ESPN Sources: The Cleveland Cavaliers are hiring Golden State assistant Kenny Atkinson as the franchise’s next head coach and sides are working on a contract that’s expected to be completed soon.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Charania] Borrego, sources said, was the front runner as of last week, until Cleveland’s front office met with Cavs majority owner Dan Gilbert on Wednesday. Atkinson’s candidacy gained considerable momentum after the meeting between Gilbert and team executives.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-24-2024, 10:43 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Charania] Borrego, sources said, was the front runner as of last week, until Cleveland’s front office met with Cavs majority owner Dan Gilbert on Wednesday. Atkinson’s candidacy gained considerable momentum after the meeting between Gilbert and team executives.

Thats hilarious.

Dan Gilbert overrules his FO and hires Atkinson.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-24-2024, 11:07 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Thats hilarious.

First thought that crossed my mind: Atkinson must be cheaper.
Like Reply
I was confident Silas is not good, while Mosley is very good. I´m not sure about Borrego. I lean more toward not. I´d have hired Atkinson as well between those two.

I also doubt Borrego is more expensive than Atkinson.
Like Reply
(06-24-2024, 11:54 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I was confident Silas is not good, while Mosley is very good. I´m not sure about Borrego. I lean more toward not. I´d have hired Atkinson as well between those two.

I also doubt Borrego is more expensive than Atkinson.

Well, all I'm saying is that Atkinson gets passed up for a lot of these jobs. 

Borrego has a seriously good rep among coaches and people who follow coaches. I enjoyed what he tried to accomplish in Charlotte quite a bit, and he carries himself the way these teams like (which is surface level stuff, but matters). 

They're BOTH better than a team like Cleveland deserves, not having a coach at this late date.
Like Reply
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
ESPN Sources: Toronto Raptors All-Star guard Scottie Barnes intends to sign a five-year maximum rookie extension that could be worth up to $270 million. Barnes is the franchise cornerstone and will become the highest paid player in Raptors history.
Like Reply
(06-24-2024, 12:29 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
ESPN Sources: Toronto Raptors All-Star guard Scottie Barnes intends to sign a five-year maximum rookie extension that could be worth up to $270 million. Barnes is the franchise cornerstone and will become the highest paid player in Raptors history.

Damn that's crazy money. Barnes is awesome, but I wouldn't want him on that contract.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • Jmaciscool
Like Reply
(06-24-2024, 02:09 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Damn that's crazy money. Barnes is awesome, but I wouldn't want him on that contract.

Yeah, pricey team that didn't even make the playin.   I admit, Toronto has fooled me the last two years.  I liked their talent and thought they would be better.   I guess that is why the moved OG and Siakam (probably a little too late for both).   They are looking to have a pretty expensive team that lacks a #1 and team that still feels like it has a lot of holes.  

I really like Barnes though.   Just not sure he is ever a #1 on a contender.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
On another topic, I am desperately hoping that Paul George lands somewhere other than the LAC this summer. I'm looking forward to that team being dead and buried.

I know it's tough to buy them as a threat, given they were never really healthy enough to succeed, but the way they were built around two long, athletic wings is STILL the standard for me, as demonstrated by how easily Boston just handled our Mavs in the Finals. I actually thought the Clippers series was the most difficult one prior to the finals, partly because that's when Luka's injury seemed to bother hm the most, but also because they're just a tough matchup for Dallas as currently constructed. It feels amazing to have finally gotten past them, but their best player was hurt. Even when he played, he wasn't nearly himself (more hampered than Luka, even). If Kawhi is healthy, I don't know if the Mavs get past the first round, and wouldn't this summer's outlook be different in those circumstances?

They'll probably never be healthy, and I get that, but Paul George in another uniform would still make me feel a ton better, personally.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, HoosierDaddyKidd, Jmaciscool, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(06-24-2024, 03:07 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: On another topic, I am desperately hoping that Paul George lands somewhere other than the LAC this summer. I'm looking forward to that team being dead and buried.

I know it's tough to buy them as a threat, given they were never really healthy enough to succeed, but the way they were built around two long, athletic wings is STILL the standard for me, as demonstrated by how easily Boston just handled our Mavs in the Finals. I actually thought the Clippers series was the most difficult one prior to the finals, partly because that's when Luka's injury seemed to bother hm the most, but also because they're just a tough matchup for Dallas as currently constructed. It feels amazing to have finally gotten past them, but their best player was hurt. Even when he played, he wasn't nearly himself (more hampered than Luka, even). If Kawhi is healthy, I don't know if the Mavs get past the first round, and wouldn't this summer's outlook be different in those circumstances?

They'll probably never be healthy, and I get that, but Paul George in another uniform would still make me feel a ton better, personally.

Amen, I'd love for him to land in the east.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-24-2024, 09:10 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I saw something yesterday the Heat had interest in Mitchell Robinson, who the Knicks may look to move to keep Hartenstein.    The report said the Heat may look to make Bam a PF.  That is really interested and potentially another team looking to get bigger.    I wonder if that may make them a candidate for several of the other centers on the market.

And Bam is a problem at the 4 or 5. That would be scary, as Bam is starting to shoot 3's and Robinson when healthy is one of the best offensive rebounders. You won't get much in the lane with those two.
Like Reply
(06-24-2024, 11:07 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Thats hilarious.

I mean, he owns the team, lol.  I thought JB Bickerstaff got a raw deal to be honest.
Like Reply
I just watched JJ's introductory press conference as Lakers Head Coach. There are so many fascinating things about this. 

For one thing, I know the Lakers are down pretty bad right now, and I know they've become essentially a family-run business, but my goodness I wish the Mavs presented themselves with so much confidence. These two guys are up there in $10,000 suits, carrying themselves like masters of the universe. The Lakers REALLY take themselves seriously, and it's sparking chicken-and-egg debates with my internal thoughts about whether or not that subtly causes the world to take them more seriously. 

Also, JJ slipped up and answered a question about LeBron's role extremely matter-of-factly, as if they already know he's going to be around (which I'm sure they do). Pelinka was quick to jump in and mention LeBron's impending free agency, I assume to follow NBA guidelines, but I took it as a strong indication JJ knew LeBron was going to remain a Laker when he took the job. 

He talks about Davis playing as "a hub" on offense, implying that the Lakers are about to go even farther down the modern path of perimeter dribble hand-offs, etc. 

JJ gives Rick Carlisle credit for really inspiring him to become a head coach in the league, saying he spent a lot of time mentoring with hm during the Dallas season while he was hurt. 

Other than that, it's just another example of what we already know - that JJ is super intelligent, quite well spoken and likely to be pretty good at this (though probably not right away). 

https://youtu.be/CgWjJRgn8fw?si=UrDLbF9ybgJi1XkD
Like Reply
Wonder what moves they make this offseason. They have several tradeable contracts and three first round picks.
Like Reply
(06-24-2024, 06:32 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Wonder what moves they make this offseason. They have several tradeable contracts and three first round picks.

Well, he answered a lot of questions with "I want him to shoot more 3's" and "we need to generate more good 3's." I inferred that shooting is on his mind at the moment (shocking).
Like Reply
(06-24-2024, 03:07 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: On another topic, I am desperately hoping that Paul George lands somewhere other than the LAC this summer. I'm looking forward to that team being dead and buried.

There's already rumors of him either going to the Knicks or heck even the Warriors.

Anywhere but the West. I'm afraid if he does get traded to the Knicks, the Clippers will actually look a little better given they have playable guys. Still, it doesn't matter if Kawhi isn't healthy. If he can't play then a team with just Harden and JAG's is not very scary in this West.
Like Reply
https://x.com/ShamsCharania/status/1805634558269792472

Pelicans make Swin Cash, one of the highest-ranking women in an NBA FO.
Like Reply
Legion Hoops (@LegionHoops)
Brad Stevens says Kristaps Porzingis will miss the start of next season, per @ryenarussillo.
Like Reply
I think Paul George needs to go to the 76ers, and help shore up the competition in the Leastern Conference.

The Celtics had one of the easiest route to the Finals I can remember. Let's hope the Knicks, Pacers and a 76ers with Paula can make it harder.
Like Reply