Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs- 3rd Round: Minnesota Timberwolves - Dallas Mavericks- MAVS WIN 4-1!
Back in our regular rhythm of losing game 1 and 4 of every series (skipped game 1 loss against Minny obviously).
Nothing strange happened, just keep focussed and move on.
Like Reply
Something has to give tomorrow night. Mavs 4-0 after a loss this postseason. Minny 4-0 in close out games.

The Kyrie streak just ended... No b2b losses in the playoffs needs to hold up!
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41
Like Reply
(05-29-2024, 07:51 AM)Smitty Wrote: Something has to give tomorrow night. Mavs 4-0 after a loss this postseason. Minny 4-0 in close out games.

The Kyrie streak just ended... No b2b losses in the playoffs needs to hold up!

Minny's 2 stars played well and they played an overall good game and still only won by 5. It was a let up for Dallas. Luka and Ky didn't play well, bringing back Maxi and Lively out. Should end up as a gentlemen's sweep.
Legler: "If Luka wins this year, against a healthy Celtics team, at his age, the league is in trouble."
[-] The following 1 user Likes audiosway's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Great news ahead of game 5 - Lively has been upgraded to questionable. Same as Luka, with Kleber being completely off the injury report.

Let‘s hope this pushes us to finish this series off tomorrow before things start to get spicy!
[-] The following 4 users Like Knutsen's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, michaeltex, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Man, this place is dead the day after a loss, lol.

Is it just me, or is the post season kind of in a weird rhythm? I mean, as elated as I was after Game 3, I'm pretty numb to the Mavs right now. It's like...I'm just ready for this series to be over. The loss was disappointing, but I'm not really worried about the series result, so we're just kind of in a "enough, already. Let's get to the finals" sort of place. I doubt I'd be in that headspace if it was 2-2.

Does anyone else feel that way?
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, dirkfansince1998, michaeltex, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-29-2024, 08:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Man, this place is dead the day after a loss, lol.

Is it just me, or is the post season kind of in a weird rhythm? I mean, as elated as I was after Game 3, I'm pretty numb to the Mavs right now. It's like...I'm just ready for this series to be over. The loss was disappointing, but I'm not really worried about the series result, so we're just kind of in a "enough, already. Let's get to the finals" sort of place. I doubt I'd be in that headspace if it was 2-2.

That's pretty close to describing how I feel about it. I did the best I could to believe myself and reinforce to others that "this season isn't over," but given how rarely the Mavs have disappointed us this postseason, I was still surprised and shellshocked.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(05-29-2024, 08:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: "enough, already. Let's get to the finals" sort of place. 

Yes that's me.  I was encouraged because Lively wasn't there, KAT was good but still it was close, etc..  Also, some are probably nervous with a sports event concerning the DFW area but I wont mention it for fear of being reprimanded (joking).
Like Reply
(05-29-2024, 08:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Man, this place is dead the day after a loss, lol.

Yeah I wasn't convinced that the Mavs would close this out on Tuesday, but I was hoping they would. I saw so much on all forms of social media people talking about Mavs vs. Celtics.

Kind of took the wind out of this current series the Mavs need to close out.

In a way, I hope this loss galvanizes the team (and Mavs fans) and reminds them they aren't done yet.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft
Like Reply
[Image: GOxiHz7WAAAl6or?format=jpg&name=large]

Dereck Lively is upgraded from Doubtful to Questionable ahead of game 5. Maxi isn't anywhere on the injury report which is nice to see.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Wondering if either team gets a little breathing room tonight and wins by 10 plus points. If so, which team has the better odds of doing so?
Like Reply
This is something out of this world. Can't believe this still happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlOXCqOVusA&ab_channel=ESPN

Please Mavs fans... Don't hate on your team when things won't go the way we want...

And please... STOP JINXING IT.
Like Reply
(05-30-2024, 08:53 AM)Radical Mavs Wrote: This is something out of this world. Can't believe this still happening.

Please Mavs fans... Don't hate on your team when things won't go the way we want...

I have been impressed with Edwards.  More than just his skill.  I think he has the right makeup.   I think in time he will be one of the handful of guys who can lead a team to a championship.   I think Minny is positioned pretty well.

Things can change quick though....for the Mavs too.  Conley is 37 later this year.   Gobert will be 32 soon....and we will see how long his current level continues.  I assume Kyle Anderson is not back next year.   Minny has some interesting developmental guys who may turn out to be good.  Time will tell though.   The biggest thing I see is Naz Reid can opt out of his contract after next year.  I think that is a stone cold lock.  It will be difficult to keep him if they still have KAT and Gobert.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Radical Mavs
Like Reply
(05-30-2024, 08:53 AM)Radical Mavs Wrote: This is something out of this world. Can't believe this still happening.

It's pretty incredible how bad the media wants the Wolves to win. 

I hope it pisses the team off.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Radical Mavs
Like Reply
It feels like length and size is the best way to defend Kyrie. I assume Boston will try the same thing if we advance. Kyrie has seen every way to defend him, but both OKC and game 4 against Minny really limited his good looks. How would you combat this?
Like Reply
(05-30-2024, 09:37 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: It feels like length and size is the best way to defend Kyrie.  I assume Boston will try the same thing if we advance.  Kyrie has seen every way to defend him, but both OKC and game 4 against Minny really limited his good looks.  How would you combat this?

I think sticking someone on that's over half a foot taller on you is a great way to start.

But Kyrie has been his most successful this series attacking off of motion, whether that be off the catch where he receives an outlet pass and instantly goes, or is cutting and is hit with a pass.

He's much faster than McDaniels. As soon as he gets downhill, the Wolves defense is scrambling and he can usually get his layup pretty easily.

McDaniels negates his iso's pretty easily. Mavs should force a switch whenever they want a Kyrie iso possession with a Luka/Kyrie PnR and let Kyrie cook.
Like Reply
I think MIN thinks they can conserve Edwards by putting him on Luka, who doesn't do a lot of motion off-ball. If you could get an early switch to Kyrie, he'd be back in the tunnel sucking oxygen by halftime.
Like Reply

This is exactly how I feel.

Also feels like if the Mavs had split in Minnesota and then won both at home (which would also be a 3-1 record) it would have an amazing feel and yet because the last game was a loss it feels much worse even with the same overall record.
Like Reply

I'm a little nervous actually.  Lively has become the 3rd-most important player on our team and his questionable availability makes me worry.  We're playing a great team who also happens to be the league's biggest team.  No Lively gives Minny a huge advantage.   The fact that Maxi is still not back to baseline also is cause for concern.  I am aware that no one has ever come back from 3-0 but injuries often play a role in the NBA playoffs and could flip the series.  

The officials allowed a lot of contact on Luka and Kyrie in Game 4 and if the same thing is allowed tonight, then we have that disadvantage as well.  

Hopefully my angst is unnecessary and the Mavs close them out tonight.
Like Reply
man, I know these are easy shots especially when no one is guarding you, but I would love to see this be more in his repertoire next year. With his finishing at the rim and his ability to play make, a nice little floater/mid range game would be huge.

https://x.com/townbrad/status/1796204863434412510
Like Reply
(05-30-2024, 09:37 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: It feels like length and size is the best way to defend Kyrie.  I assume Boston will try the same thing if we advance.  Kyrie has seen every way to defend him, but both OKC and game 4 against Minny really limited his good looks.  How would you combat this?

This sounds like we will make history on the wrong side of the story. Don't be pessimist (excuse my English)... Now on the serious side, your comments reminds me when Chicago put Pippen on Mark Jackson.
Like Reply