Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs- 3rd Round: Minnesota Timberwolves - Dallas Mavericks- MAVS WIN 4-1!
I think they´ll draw a lot of confidence from hurting Lively. They´ll think, let´s get game 4, we go home, and get game 5. If Lively was healthy, they wouldn´t have any confidence left.
Like Reply
@espn_macmahon
Mavs rookie center Dereck Lively II left the arena to get a scan to evaluate the severity of his sprained neck, sources told @mcten and me.

Lively is not in the NBA’s concussion protocol at this point.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-26-2024, 10:40 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: @espn_macmahon
Mavs rookie center Dereck Lively II left the arena to get a scan to evaluate the severity of his sprained neck, sources told @mcten and me.

Lively is not in the NBA’s concussion protocol at this point.

That's good news. Concussion protocol would almost guarantee that he misses the next 2-3 games.
Like Reply
Just once I would like to hear someone from Minnesota give the Mavs credit. Luka, even when he knows differently, always says a player or the team is “amazing”. T-pups always say they made mistakes, played poorly, were tired, etc. They never say Dallas made some incredible shots or that Lu-Ky are tough down the stretch. With an attitude like this, they deserve to be swept into the off-season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rocky164's post:
  • Arioch
Like Reply
(05-26-2024, 10:41 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: That's good news. Concussion protocol would almost guarantee that he misses the next 2-3 games.

I am no doctor and teams don't typically mess around with concussions diagnosis, but he looked dazed when he got up.  Getting hit like that with the knee looked like it had to be a concussion.  I hope not.  I hope he is ok.  We need him.  

Hearing him talk on defense is so amazing for such a young kid.   Defensive anchor already.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft, The Jom
Like Reply
I think Conley is a class act. I hope he loses, but I have always liked him.

It is weird how with a weaker Jazz defensive team the Mavs were able to spread out Gobert and take advantage of him. They may be having more success now with a better Minny defensive team and no spacing. He is just in no mans land when Luka gets in the lane. Instead of worrying about the corner he needs to decide if he is going to give up an easy Luka look or make him pass over the top.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
I am so impressed Jaden is getting playoff minutes. I mentioned that I don't think he is quite ready. Just hasn't had the reps yet, but he is not backing down. A stinker outing may be coming but man he thinks he deserves to be on the court. The team knows he can play too. Two times he got Rudy on him and Luka looked at him and said do your thing. I don't think he does that with Hardaway and Josh. Nothing against them, but he probably wouldn't.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • LifeAquatic, RoyTarpleysGhost, The Jom
Like Reply
(05-26-2024, 10:37 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I think they´ll draw a lot of confidence from hurting Lively. They´ll think, let´s get game 4, we go home, and get game 5. If Lively was healthy, they wouldn´t have any confidence left.

Lol. Minnesota has no confidence left. Mavs in 4.
Like Reply
Another reason why it is important to have two rim running physical centers. That position takes a lot of punishment. You are rolling hard to the rim a lot with a lot of bodies. You are also contesting a lot of shots in a crowded lane. I think it is important to split up those minutes.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • OBX Maverick, RGP1981, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
I am going to remind everyone that Minnesota was hands-down the #1 defense in the league. Dallas is scoring at will.

The Celtics better be ready to shoot a crazy % from 3, because we are going to control the paint and score at will against them as well.

BTW, Dallas would have beaten Denver too. Probably in 4 or 5.
Like Reply
(05-26-2024, 10:49 PM)rocky164 Wrote: Just once I would like to hear someone from Minnesota give the Mavs credit.  Luka, even when he knows differently, always says a player or the team is “amazing”.  T-pups always say they made mistakes, played poorly, were tired, etc.  They never say Dallas made some incredible shots or that Lu-Ky are tough down the stretch.  With an attitude like this, they deserve to be swept into the off-season.

I specifically registered on this site two nights ago because I've made it a habit to view other teams forums through these playoffs. Suns, Nuggets, and Mavs. I personally have been nothing but complimentary in my posts here. As far as the players and coaches themselves? It's been a ton of kudos to the Mavs, their players, and their schemes through out local radio & TV. I mean, the Wolves have made a ton of mistakes, but I think that's credit to Dallas and what they're doing on defense. It's frustrating for me personally to see this series be 3-0 so I can't imagine what the players are thinking. I've seen a lot of posts on this specific forum with people not giving Luka/Kyrie their credit and instead bashing on/ripping on Rudy & Jaden like they aren't two of the best defenders in the league. Bottom line is these guys are making some incredibly tough shots and I have a hard time believing it would be that much different against anyone else. I personally don't think there is anyone that would take Dallas in a 7 game series right now due to the above mentioned players, enjoy them while you have them as they're generational talens.
[-] The following 6 users Like EGrant23's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft, Knutsen, Not an evil robot, RGP1981, rocky164
Like Reply
(05-27-2024, 12:15 AM)EGrant23 Wrote: I specifically registered on this site two nights ago because I've made it a habit to view other teams forums through these playoffs. Suns, Nuggets, and Mavs. I personally have been nothing but complimentary in my posts here. As far as the players and coaches themselves? It's been a ton of kudos to the Mavs, their players, and their schemes through out local radio & TV. I mean, the Wolves have made a ton of mistakes, but I think that's credit to Dallas and what they're doing on defense. It's frustrating for me personally to see this series be 3-0 so I can't imagine what the players are thinking. I've seen a lot of posts on this specific forum with people not giving Luka/Kyrie their credit and instead bashing on/ripping on Rudy & Jaden like they aren't two of the best defenders in the league. Bottom line is these guys are making some incredibly tough shots and I have a hard time believing it would be that much different against anyone else. I personally don't think there is anyone that would take Dallas in a 7 game series right now due to the above mentioned players, enjoy them while you have them as they're generational talens.

Thanks for being here, EGrant, we're glad to have you. 

Try not to take the Gobert stuff personally. This board has been arguing over Gobert for a decade now. That's not a wolves-bashing agenda. I'd bet a ton of money there's a fair amount of Gobert debate going on at whatever Wolves community you frequent right about now, too.

This is like any other corner of the internet. There's smart people, knuckleheads, trolls and just folks who are generally jerks. Some of us can be all of the above, depending on the day you tip in to read. 

I have become a HUGE Anthony Edwards fan (can't bring myself to call him ANT, sorry) and think your team has a bright future. If you're sensing some negativity towards him, it's because our guy, who, as you said, is a generational talent, is not taken as seriously as he should be nationally due to the resentment of some in American basketball that European players are taking over the sport. All those ex-players SHOULD be proud that they built a product so great that all of the world's children dream of playing in this league, just like American kids do, but a great many of them don't seem to see it that way, for whatever reason. As possibly the best young, African-American rising star, I think many of us feel like Edwards is being overly hyped somewhat, especially this early, and it's tough not to feel like that comes at the expense of Luka getting the respect he deserves (because it literally does. They're asking questions about which is better on every talk show, which is obviously ludicrous). I think some people's (not mine) instinct is to want Edwards to fail. Personally, I don't think that's necessary for me to enjoy Luka's greatness. 

...unless he's playing the Mavs in the WCF, in which case I definitely hope he fails, lol, but hopefully you get where I'm coming from.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Jmaciscool, RGP1981
Like Reply
(05-27-2024, 12:29 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Thanks for being here, EGrant, we're glad to have you. 

Try not to take the Gobert stuff personally. This board has been arguing over Gobert for a decade now. That's not a wolves-bashing agenda. I'd bet a ton of money there's a fair amount of Gobert debate going on at whatever Wolves community you frequent right about now, too.

This is like any other corner of the internet. There's smart people, knuckleheads, trolls and just folks who are generally jerks. Some of us can be all of the above, depending on the day you tip in to read. 

I have become a HUGE Anthony Edwards fan (can't bring myself to call him ANT, sorry) and think your team has a bright future. If you're sensing some negativity towards him, it's because our guy, who, as you said, is a generational talent, is not taken as seriously as he should be nationally due to the resentment of some in American basketball that European players are taking over the sport. All those ex-players SHOULD be proud that they built a product so great that all of the world's children dream of playing in this league, just like American kids do, but a great many of them don't seem to see it that way, for whatever reason. As possibly the best young, African-American rising star, I think many of us feel like Edwards is being overly hyped somewhat, especially this early, and it's tough not to feel like that comes at the expense of Luka getting the respect he deserves (because it literally does. They're asking questions about which is better on every talk show, which is obviously ludicrous). I think some people's (not mine) instinct is to want Edwards to fail. Personally, I don't think that's necessary for me to enjoy Luka's greatness. 

...unless he's playing the Mavs in the WCF, in which case I definitely hope he fails, lol, but hopefully you get where I'm coming from.

For sure. As referenced in previous posts, i just really enjoy NBA basketball and watch every game that I feasibly can. I didn't mean for my post to come across as me taking the Rudy stuff personally. Like I said, I've been on plenty of other teams forums, and this is the easiest to stomach even with my boys getting their a**es kicked. Rudy is just an odd dude and is still hated by quite a few Wolves fans due to his extreme shortcomings.

I completely get where you're coming from with the Luka stuff. I wish it wasn't that way, I certainly don't see it that way. He's can't miss TV. I personally think some of the "hatred" for Luka is the post whistle shenanigans, the whining (right or wrong). The Ant stuff? Tons is media driven IMO, obviously hasn't been helped by some comments he's made from time to time, but some of that stuff is the stuff you hope he figures out as his career evolves.
[-] The following 1 user Likes EGrant23's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-27-2024, 12:41 AM)EGrant23 Wrote: I completely get where you're coming from with the Luka stuff. I wish it wasn't that way, I certainly don't see it that way. He's can't miss TV. I personally think some of the "hatred" for Luka is the post whistle shenanigans, the whining (right or wrong). The Ant stuff? Tons is media driven IMO, obviously hasn't been helped by some comments he's made from time to time, but some of that stuff is the stuff you hope he figures out as his career evolves.

Yeah...the whining isn't great. We're honest about that around here on nights when Luka isn't about to take the team to the NBA finals. I agree, that's part of it. 

I LIKE Edward's overconfident vibe, and I think he's able to backup what HE puts out there already. It can seem a little much when mixed into the aggregation/media machine's agenda, but as you say, that's not his fault. To me, he's just a 22 year old who knows how good he is and isn't apologizing for it. And, I like that he's not afraid to admit he has more to learn. Like tonight, he said "the ball got stuck in my hands a few times." Hell, I'm not even sure I agree with that, but he seems like a standup dude to me.

What are your thoughts on KAT? I'm not a very big fan of his, and he would be an Atlanta Hawk by the end of the summer if I ran that team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
Gotta love Luka's face at the end of this
https://x.com/dalton_trigg/status/1794943692828217510
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
(05-27-2024, 12:45 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: What are your thoughts on KAT? I'm not a very big fan of his, and he would be an Atlanta Hawk by the end of the summer if I ran that team.

How many characters do I have?! There are VERY few Wolves fans more frustrated with him than I am right now. To be a member of so many crappy teams over your first 9 years and to be in the WCF and completely crap the bed is just so infuriating. I mean, when he's good, he's damn good. I also say all of this with the understanding that the Wolves wouldn't be where they are without him. I think a lot of it depends on if Taylor still owns the team moving forward or if A-Rod/Lore take over. As of now, they have some ridiculous salaries and they'll be in the second apron and I'm not sure a new ownership group would be willing to take that on and they may definitely look to move him. I'll give him his credit though coming into this year and really letting it be known that this was Edward's team whereas he hadn't had that opinion the last few years. If they could get a decent return for him, I'm open to it especially with his contract.
[-] The following 2 users Like EGrant23's post:
  • Jmaciscool, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-26-2024, 10:37 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I think they´ll draw a lot of confidence from hurting Lively. They´ll think, let´s get game 4, we go home, and get game 5. If Lively was healthy, they wouldn´t have any confidence left.

The Lively injury has thrown a wrinkle into this series and playoff run. Winning one without him will be difficult. Hope it’s a strain and not a sprain. Sounds like a sprain would be a season ender at this point 3-6 weeks.  But a strain:  he’ll probably make it back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
This series reminds me a lot of the 2011 match up against the Lakers, with a bunch of close games but the Mavs had the best closer in Dirk.

I suspect (and hope) in Game 4 that Mavs will hit the Wolves early (probably through a barrage of threes) and the Wolves will fold, LA style.
Like Reply
For what it's worth:

https://x.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/1794955235678622088

DLive was posting on Instagram his highlights post game. Not much to draw from there, but a positive sign nonetheless
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
Mavs Fans For Life (@MavsFansForLife)
The Dallas Mavericks have their first 3-0 lead in a series since 2011 against the Los Angeles Lakers in the second round, the year the team won the NBA championship.
Like Reply