Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: THJ+3 2nds to DET | Grimes to DAL
This was more of the Mavs being bad at asset and salary management.

I was never a fan of resigning THJ but what really made me angry was the Mavs inability to get the last year of his deal as a team option just like the NYK did with the Fournier deal.

The Mavs are now throwing away 3 draft picks to move off his last year. Terrible miss management.
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 04:34 PM)Luka77 Wrote: This was more of the Mavs being bad at assest and salary management. 

I was never a fan of resigning THJ but what really made  me angry was the Mavs inability to get his last year of his deal as a team option just like the NYK did with the Fournier deal.

The Mavs are now throwing away 3 draft picks to move off his last year.  Terrible miss management.

I think they were also paying to get a guy who might actually be able to crack their rotation as well.
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 01:07 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Already the second best shoe sales man of all time.

Is it bad form to mention that I was pro-Nico before it was cool to be pro-Nico?  Big Grin
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 5 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • DallasMaverick, dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 05:04 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I think they were also paying to get a guy who might actually be able to crack their rotation as well.
Right...it also took me some time, but they not only got THJ off the books but also gained a player that might actually work well here.

But still: they should have shipped him out earlier. Would sure have saved some assets.
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 05:04 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Is it bad form to mention that I was pro-Nico before it was cool to be pro-Nico?  Big Grin

Nope! Run your victory lap, King!
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 05:04 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I think they were also paying to get a guy who might actually be able to crack their rotation as well.

I don't know enough about Grimes to form an opinion, I have my doubts, but him becoming a rotational player for several years is the only thing that will save THJ botched contract negotiation.

So let see.  If Grimes doesn't resign here or if the Mavs don't recuperate their assests by trading him or Josh this will be a big failure.
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 04:10 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: The Pistons are building draft capital for a big move later down the road. Aside from the main goal, they get closer to the cap minimum (with a 1 yr commitment) and hope to turn THJ into a viable asset they can S&T in the summer of '25.

Either that or they use him at the trade deadline to collect picks by enabling another trade or by getting value for an expiring contract.
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 06:10 PM)Luka77 Wrote: I don't know enough about Grimes to form an opinion, I have my doubts, but him becoming a rotational player for several years is the only thing that will save THJ botched contract negotiation.

So let see.  If Grimes doesn't resign here or if the Mavs don't recuperate their assests by trading him or Josh this will be a big failure.

You're kind of missing the point that the old front office that made that mistake is gone. It's an apples and oranges discussion. You're acting as if the old FO's mistake is something to hang around the new FO's neck in terms of guilt right now, when nah. If it comes out later that the Mavs could have done something better, then that - not anything that the old FO did in botching a contract negotiation - if something to beat up Nico and co. with. 

Moreover, once again, the goal is to have room to sign DJJ. If they get DJJ, then that makes the trade a win.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply

Detroit is in such a pickle; I see why they did it. But in normal scenario, there's no way I would have traded THJ for Grimes.  Grimes when healthy is the much better overall player.
Like Reply
the failure/mistake was made several years ago while the trade is definitely a good one. also the riddance of THJ means we are 100% clear from the aftermath of the KP deal.
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 07:00 PM)LukaMVP Wrote: the failure/mistake was made several years ago while the trade is definitely a good one. also the riddance of THJ means we are 100% clear from the aftermath of the KP deal.
And the irony of getting back the player(grimes) from one of the FRP’s we sent. Good to close that chapter and start a new one
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 07:25 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: And the irony of getting back the player(grimes) from one of the FRP’s we sent. Good to close that chapter and start a new one

That's actually hilarious.

He was the 21st pick for NYK in the 2021 NBA draft. That 21st pick was the first pick we sent in the KP trade. 

Full circle moment.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Trades are so much more fun when you can make them. How many months did we hope Toronto would want Toronto native back in Powell for freakin Goran Dragic.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Not sure if this was posted

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/4062748...s-offense/
[-] The following 1 user Likes vfromlmf's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(06-28-2024, 07:56 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: That's actually hilarious.

He was the 21st pick for NYK in the 2021 NBA draft. That 21st pick was the first pick we sent in the KP trade. 

Full circle moment.

Grimes was pick 25 by LAC. With Mavs pick, NY took Keon Johnson at 21 (and then traded him).
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply

First 5 minutes is Grimes defense and sheesh. He is the real deal. Mike Breen even says at one point "Grimes always guards the best player"

How the hell did Nico and the Mavs pull this one off??
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(06-29-2024, 08:59 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:

First 5 minutes is Grimes defense and sheesh. He is the real deal. Mike Breen even says at one point "Grimes always guards the best player"

How the hell did Nico and the Mavs pull this one off??

Nico should send Detroit a thank you e-mail for doing them a solid. They don't move Tim, they don't free up space to re-sign Jones. I.doubt if any other teams were willing to take him on. I would have kept Grimes, but the situation warranted getting picks and a expiring deal.
Like Reply