Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: Bojan+ Haul of Picks to BRK | Mikal Bridges to NYK
(06-26-2024, 12:16 AM)omahen Wrote: A CBA question. Why are the Knicks hard capped?

If the deal is executed in June, wouldn't that make the hard cap gone in July?
The difference between Bogi and Mikal salary is less than 2 mil. Wouldn't it make a ton of sense to just add a player like Sims to the deal and erase the hard cap issue?

Well they aren't hardcapped yet. The deal isn't finalized. They can add someone to make the salary match 1-1. I'd imagine they do that anyways.

But as the deal is currently reported, the Knicks would be hardcapped.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-26-2024, 12:12 AM)omahen Wrote: Looks like Knicks are the best when it comes to convincing players they want to play for them.

On the other hand, I am in the club that is not so sure that this move will put them on the top. I think they lack in star power, despite perhaps best set of wings in the league. I don't think there is any chance OG walks.

I´m with the people that think they´ll deal Randle (and possibly Robinson) and keep both Anunoby and Hartenstein. Realistically Randle and Robinson would be good fits with OKC. Remember we always have to look for an angle how any East trade eventually makes the West tougher. Undecided
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • Jmaciscool, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-25-2024, 09:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: GQ9yEnpWgAAQOwE?format=jpg&name=medium]

The 'meme' team
Like Reply
Man, I would love Bojan if we could keep three other good defending wings. I just don't see how it is possible. It probably wouldn't take much at his stage in his career. Just tough to see how we can get him, sign DJJ and not give up a valuable asset.
Like Reply
wait until February hoping he gets waived by then and sign him for vet min. would like to see him play a peja type of role for us.
Like Reply
@IanBegley
Person familiar w/NBA CBA said Jericho Sims’ deal is treated as a minimum contract in trades even tho it wasn’t signed via vet min exception. Rule is based on his current salary, not how he signed. So as it currently stands, NYK can’t include Sims & another minimum deal in trade

Very interesting wrinkle
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I can't stop thinking about this trade. Utterly fascinating.

Bridges is a difference making role player - about as "premium" as non-stars get, so I think we all understand the positives for NY, and that's before even getting into the Nova element of it all. This will be one of the more interesting exercises in team chemistry the NBA has ever seen. Plus, it seems like NY is another team throwing their hats in the "get all the wings" ring, where teams like LAC, BOS and TOR have all gone before them. I REALLY like that style of roster construction.

Having said all of that, I think it's an extremely irresponsible trade. Does everyone realize that the 2025, 2027, 2029 and 2031 picks are ALL completely unprotected? I mean, I'm as big a believer in Jalen Brunson as the next guy (probably bigger), but given the data many have shared around here about the sharp late-career decline of small guards, do we think it's likely that he's going to be very good in 2031? How about 2029, even? I could understand a deal like this for someone like Devin Booker, maybe, but Bridges...idk if that's enough to push this many future altering chips forward.

And yet...who else would they be waiting for? Mitchell doesn't make sense for them, anymore. If you believe all the smoke out there today about Durant being on the block, you'd have to think NY chose this path instead of that one, fully knowing what they were doing, since it seems to have led HOU to give BRK their draft control back (there's no way BRK makes this deal without the foreknowledge that this would happen). From that POV, I just don't know what I'd have had NY do instead. Still, unprotected in 2031? I believe they're the first team to trade a pick in 2031, and they did it for a premier role player.

This is a fascinating time in the NBA.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Jmaciscool, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(06-26-2024, 12:16 AM)omahen Wrote: A CBA question. Why are the Knicks hard capped?

If the deal is executed in June, wouldn't that make the hard cap gone in July?
The difference between Bogi and Mikal salary is less than 2 mil. Wouldn't it make a ton of sense to just add a player like Sims to the deal and erase the hard cap issue?

If the Knicks send Sims to the Nets, I think the Mavs FO should get in on that. Try sending Dwight to the Nets for Sims. Then it won't matter if Lively or Gafford get into foul trouble in important games. That was a big worry at many points in the playoffs.
Like Reply
(06-26-2024, 01:04 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: If the Knicks send Sims to the Nets, I think the Mavs FO should get in on that. Try sending Dwight to the Nets for Sims. Then it won't matter if Lively or Gafford get into foul trouble in important games. That was a big worry at many points in the playoffs.

Knicks can't send Sims to the Nets and avoid the hardcap

@IanBegley
Person familiar w/NBA CBA said Jericho Sims’ deal is treated as a minimum contract in trades even tho it wasn’t signed via vet min exception. Rule is based on his current salary, not how he signed. So as it currently stands, NYK can’t include Sims & another minimum deal in trade
Like Reply
https://x.com/WorldWideWob/status/1805792632029036809
Like Reply
Bobby Marks (@BobbyMarks42)
Latest New York breakdown

This is very fluid and the Bridges trade still has not happened.

Includes both first rd. picks

11 players under contract

$6.6M below the first apron

Vet minimum= $2.1M

2nd rd. pick= $1.1M
Like Reply
(06-26-2024, 11:10 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I can't stop thinking about this trade. Utterly fascinating.

Bridges is a difference making role player - about as "premium" as non-stars get, so I think we all understand the positives for NY, and that's before even getting into the Nova element of it all. This will be one of the more interesting exercises in team chemistry the NBA has ever seen. Plus, it seems like NY is another team throwing their hats in the "get all the wings" ring, where teams like LAC, BOS and TOR have all gone before them. I REALLY like that style of roster construction.

Having said all of that, I think it's an extremely irresponsible trade. Does everyone realize that the 2025, 2027, 2029 and 2031 picks are ALL completely unprotected? I mean, I'm as big a believer in Jalen Brunson as the next guy (probably bigger), but given the data many have shared around here about the sharp late-career decline of small guards, do we think it's likely that he's going to be very good in 2031? How about 2029, even? I could understand a deal like this for someone like Devin Booker, maybe, but Bridges...idk if that's enough to push this many future altering chips forward.

And yet...who else would they be waiting for? Mitchell doesn't make sense for them, anymore. If you believe all the smoke out there today about Durant being on the block, you'd have to think NY chose this path instead of that one, fully knowing what they were doing, since it seems to have led HOU to give BRK their draft control back (there's no way BRK makes this deal without the foreknowledge that this would happen). From that POV, I just don't know what I'd have had NY do instead. Still, unprotected in 2031? I believe they're the first team to trade a pick in 2031, and they did it for a premier role player.

This is a fascinating time in the NBA.

I don't think teams really appreciate first round picks as they once did. 
Frankly, while people look at the Nets & Boston trade and laugh at the Nets, the truth is the Nets survived the worst possible scenario, made a rebuild and went to the playoffs, landed KD, Harden & Kyrie, was one inch away from beating the eventual champions (tough for them) and then when they felt it didn't work, traded them, have enough assets to go either way and today they choose their path and had a strong start. 
So, if you are an owner, why would you care that much about first round picks? When you know that if you have a competent GM, you can give a team a 1st overall pick and cornerstone, and still build a contender. 
I used to hate the Mavs throwing their picks, but currently I think they are just a currency.
Like Reply
difference is the picks we gave away were mostly our own picks, not ones we got in a bunch by selling our best players. we never treat our best players that way even in our rebuilding years and that's one of the many reasons why the mavs are a more respectable franchise than most others tbh.
Like Reply