Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 5 NBA FINALS: DALLAS MAVERICKS (1-4) vs BOSTON CELTICS (4-1)
Tim Bontemps (@TimBontemps)
Story filed to ESPN: Celtics center Kristaps Porzingis returned to the court for Game 5 of the NBA Finals playing on the rare left leg injury he suffered in Game 2 – one that he told ESPN will require surgery and that will have a "few months" long recovery process.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Losing in the finals is of course disappointing, but I'm not surprised how the series went. The Mavs, for awhile now, have needed Luka to be at his best to be their best, and I remember watching him in the Clippers series and thinking that knee sprain would only get worse as time went on in the playoffs. I remember thinking what a horrible time to be injured and that it would shorten their playoffs as a result. 

I'm honestly amazed at what he was able to do this post season and doing what needed to be done, when it needed to be done, to help get them this far. Some may say that's using injury as an excuse, but I've been impressed with Luka's perseverance and toughness throughout the playoffs this year.  I don't think a lot of the national pundits take this enough into account. Anyone that's watched Luka in his overall playoff career can see he was not at his best. 

That on top of the fact that Boston is the better and deeper team, I don't see how anyone can't be proud of how this team and their new players learned to win in different ways and what this team did this year.
[-] The following 8 users Like LifeAquatic's post:
  • audiosway, fifteenth, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero, TurkishMFFL
Like Reply
(06-17-2024, 09:54 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Two things:
1) You will never convince me that, if you could scientifically and accurately quantify the talent level of every player on the Mavs and Celtics, that the Mavs wouldn't come out on top. Call me stupid and/or a homer. I'll die on that hill. The Mavs choked.
2) SH is just wrong to nitpick the bench as the cause of death in this series. It was Kai, especially in Boston, and then Luka. Look at their freaking shooting numbers in this series. Boston's defense isn't that good. Love these two guys and the ride to the Finals they gave us, but they both flat quit like Mark Aguirre in the Finals, period.

I respect this but disagree. I think that the Celtics talent is more mature and ready for this moment. I don't think the Mavs chocked. I think that through time, suffering, maturity (personal) and maturity of skills the Celtics were absolutely the better team this time around.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 4 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • Jym, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, mvossman
Like Reply
(06-17-2024, 10:21 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: I hope this Finals loss lights a fire under Luka - in fairness to him he did come in great shape to start the season. But we need him to be in amazing shape from beginning to end (not gain weight during the season). Giving up alcohol and drinking during the season imo is a must.

Completely agree with this. 

Luka learning how to take care of himself could be the difference between (1) Luka being the best player in the league for a few years and getting a couple of shots at a title, or (2) Luka proving to be in the MJ, LeBron category, in the GOAT conversation because he dominated the league and won multiple championships over a good long run, on top. 

Is it just me, or has Dirk seemed more assertive lately? Maybe Dirk can get him on a Dirk like regimen. Ultimately, though, Luka has to want to take care of himself, and the fact that he can be possibly the best player in the league while doing a mediocre job with his fitness might be a deterrent from doing what it takes to be an all-time great.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(06-17-2024, 10:21 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: I hope this Finals loss lights a fire under Luka - in fairness to him he did come in great shape to start the season. But we need him to be in amazing shape from beginning to end (not gain weight during the season). Giving up alcohol and drinking during the season imo is a must.

Fully agreed with this. Not just Luka though, although as the best player on the team it must start with him. The rest of the team needs to put in WORK during the off-season. The whole Celtics team looked stronger, quicker and fitter than their Mavericks' counterparts in the same position. So being in great shape is something that everyone should work on too.
Like Reply
(06-18-2024, 12:03 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I respect this but disagree. I think that the Celtics talent is more mature and ready for this moment. I don't think the Mavs chocked. I think that through time, suffering, maturity (personal) and maturity of skills the Celtics were absolutely the better team this time around.

Yeah, not only did they take their lumps as contenders for the last couple seasons, but then they added Jrue and KP.  Rarely does a young team go from Lottery to championship.  Its kind of crazy that this is the second team in the last 4 years to be contenders for a couple of years and then trade for Jrue to put them over the top.  I think the Bucks made a huge mistake letting him go.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, fifteenth
Like Reply
(06-18-2024, 04:07 PM)mvossman Wrote: Yeah, not only did they take their lumps as contenders for the last couple seasons, but then they added Jrue and KP.  Rarely does a young team go from Lottery to championship.  Its kind of crazy that this is the second team in the last 4 years to be contenders for a couple of years and then trade for Jrue to put them over the top.  I think the Bucks made a huge mistake letting him go.

They tried to go star chasing after winning a title like Cuban did. Never a smart move.
Legler: "If Luka wins this year, against a healthy Celtics team, at his age, the league is in trouble."
Like Reply