Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Naji Marshall To DAL | 3yrs/27mil
(07-04-2024, 01:03 PM)Smitty Wrote: Preach! I agree with every word. I didn’t mean to say I’m okay with Kidd not taking the regular season, just that it’s what the evidence suggests.

I understood. Just using your point as a launchpad for something that has been on my mind.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-04-2024, 05:53 AM)Dundalis Wrote: Did you see the minutes DJJ was playing before coming to Dallas? And on a much worse team than the one Marshall was on at that. Curious if you thought there was zero chance of DJJ being a starter when we signed him too.

I have a feeling people will be surprised how little DJJ will bring to the Clippers, and I'm not remotely someone who wishes DJJ anything but the best. This Mavs team has super elevators on offense (Luka) and defense (Lively/Gafford), probably to an extent people don't quite understand yet IMO.

Calling Lively a “super elevator” on defense gets my post-of-the-day nomination. 

I wonder how many of Klay’s minutes last year, when his defense apparently slipped, happened without a rim-protector on the floor. If a little lateral quickness is all he’s lost, he might look pretty good funneling guys into the Dallas interior defenders.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 5 users Like The Jom's post:
  • BigDirk41, Dahlsim, Scott41theMavs, Smitty, Winter
Like Reply
What I liked watching the highlights, is Marshall really competes. He feels like a guy that you hate going up against. I felt that when we played the Pelicans this year. He really went at Luka. I mean, it is luka so Luka is winning that battle. But he feels like a guy who understands his role is to try to cause problems to the best of the other team.

On the other hand, the drives in the highlights look good. But they are the successful ones. I just have a feeling is going to have a few plays a game where we think WTF was that. Putting his head down 1 on 3 and launching a crazy shot.

I think it was Smitty in a different post that had Marshall getting PF minutes. I hadn't thought of that. Although if he can, this does open up other minutes for guys who are expecting minutes. I wonder if this is how it plays out?
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 08:09 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: What I liked watching the highlights, is Marshall really competes.  He feels like a guy that you hate going up against.  I felt that when we played the Pelicans this year.  He really went at Luka.  I mean, it is luka so Luka is winning that battle.  But he feels like a guy who understands his role is to try to cause problems to the best of the other team.

On the other hand, the drives in the highlights look good.  But they are the successful ones.  I just have a feeling is going to have a few plays a game where we think WTF was that.  Putting his head down 1 on 3 and launching a crazy shot.

I think it was Smitty in a different post that had Marshall getting PF minutes.  I hadn't thought of that.  Although if he can, this does open up other minutes for guys who are expecting minutes.    I wonder if this is how it plays out?

Yeah, it was me. The way the roster is now I absolutely want Naji playing backup 4. It basically comes down to do you want Exum AND Hardy getting regular minutes at the 1 & 2 or do you want Maxi getting minutes at the 4. For me, it’s an easy decision.

Also, the second best net rating for the Pels was with Naji at the 4. Something to think about…
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 08:09 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think it was Smitty in a different post that had Marshall getting PF minutes.  I hadn't thought of that.  Although if he can, this does open up other minutes for guys who are expecting minutes.    I wonder if this is how it plays out?

This makes perfect sense to me. When PJ is out, Naji is really a pretty good fit in that spot.

He is also a pretty good fit if any of the wings get in foul trouble. 

In many ways, he's a much better swiss army knife than anyone in the rotation.
[-] The following 4 users Like Winter's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 08:09 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: What I liked watching the highlights, is Marshall really competes.  He feels like a guy that you hate going up against.  I felt that when we played the Pelicans this year.  He really went at Luka.  I mean, it is luka so Luka is winning that battle.  But he feels like a guy who understands his role is to try to cause problems to the best of the other team.

On the other hand, the drives in the highlights look good.  But they are the successful ones.  I just have a feeling is going to have a few plays a game where we think WTF was that.  Putting his head down 1 on 3 and launching a crazy shot.

I think it was Smitty in a different post that had Marshall getting PF minutes.  I hadn't thought of that.  Although if he can, this does open up other minutes for guys who are expecting minutes.    I wonder if this is how it plays out?

PF is a possibility.  He’s bigger and longer than DJJ and DJJ got backup 4 minutes at times.

I think Marshall’s D probably plays better in the playoffs than the regular season when the ref’s let players get a way with more physical play.

I like that Marshall has the ability to lead the break and make a good pass.  He doesn’t tend to get all the way to the basket against closeouts, but he does have a ‘floater’ game so to speak and can move the ball to an open shooter.  I suspect we will see him setting picks as well and he’s probably (thought I haven’t seen it in highlights) another skilled player in the short roll.  You probably don’t get all of that for $9mm unless there are some boneheaded plays mixed in.

I think Marshall, Thompson and Grimes are all good ball movers (like Green, but more willing to finish for themselves if need be).
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • BigDirk41, Dahlsim, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 08:24 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I like that Marshall has the ability to lead the break and make a good pass.  He doesn’t tend to get all the way to the basket against closeouts, but he does have a ‘floater’ game so to speak and can move the ball to an open shooter.  I suspect we will see him setting picks as well and he’s probably (thought I haven’t seen it in highlights) another skilled player in the short roll.  You probably don’t get all of that for $9mm unless there are some boneheaded plays mixed in.

This. This is what people are going to be shocked about with Marshall. In addition to what has been said above, he actually has an in-between pull up jumper game. He can shoot turnarounds from the high post, even. We won’t confuse him for Pascal Siakam, but he is going to add much more on the offensive end than people expect. 

I actually think BOTH Marshall AND Thompson will be used as screeners in this offense at times.
  • audiosway
Like Reply
Marshall reminds me a bit of Lance Stephenson without the dribble package and antics.

I think we're going to see a bunch of plays where we go "really......? That's what you chose to do...?"

But other times we're gonna say "WOW HOW DID YOU DO THAT?"

In short, he'll probably be the boards new favorite player to hate on depending the results. Either way, I'm intrigued to see how he fits with the backup crew.

I think his versatility really lets him fill in the gaps for both Luka-led lineups and Kyrie-led lineups.

The starting lineup will most like be: Luka/Kyrie/Klay/PJ/Lively

The 1st sub lineup will most likely be: Luka/Grimes/Marshall/Maxi/Gafford

The 2nd sub lineup will most likely be: Kyrie/Klay/Grimes/PJ/Lively

Closing lineup: Luka/Kyrie/Klay/PJ/Lively

But Marshall can easily replace either Maxi or Grimes which let the Mavs either play smaller or bigger depending on the situation. I expect OMax to get some burn too. Exum should also get some minutes between Kyrie+Luka.

We also can get fun lineups of Luka/Klay/Marshall/PJ/Lively where everyone on the court is 6'7 or bigger. Another fun one is just putting Maxi in there and that lineup is even bigger.

Point is, I'm coming around on the Marshall signing and the Mavs definitely made an intriguing pivot from DJJ.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, mvossman, Smitty
Like Reply
Marshall is basically a younger DFS, only with a little more "edge" on defense, competitively (not that this was a weakness of Dorian's) and a much more well-rounded offensive game. Better handles, better ability to get shots up in a variety of situations. If he continues to shoot like he did last year or even improves, this is a very helpful player.

He's a 3/4 on offense, but can easily guard 2-4 on defense, and in certain matchups can probably even guard the 1 or the 5.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, Smitty
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 11:49 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Marshall is basically a younger DFS, only with a little more "edge" on defense, competitively (not that this was a weakness of Dorian's) and a much more well-rounded offensive game. Better handles, better ability to get shots up in a variety of situations. If he continues to shoot like he did last year or even improves, this is a very helpful player.

He's a 3/4 on offense, but can easily guard 2-4 on defense, and in certain matchups can probably even guard the 1 or the 5.

Just like DFS his 3 will determine his value.
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 12:45 PM)mvossman Wrote: Just like DFS his 3 will determine his value.

That's true, mostly, but I'd push back on it just a little. Unlike DFS, Marshall can actually help you with the ball in his hands. I really think this is an under appreciated reason for optimism about adding this player.
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Great stuff Killer. Those lineup combinations you laid out and then the Naji comparisons to Lance and DFS are making me wish the season started next week.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 11:13 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Marshall reminds me a bit of Lance Stephenson without the dribble package and antics.

I think we're going to see a bunch of plays where we go "really......? That's what you chose to do...?"

But other times we're gonna say "WOW HOW DID YOU DO THAT?"

In short, he'll probably be the boards new favorite player to hate on depending the results. Either way, I'm intrigued to see how he fits with the backup crew.

I think his versatility really lets him fill in the gaps for both Luka-led lineups and Kyrie-led lineups.

The starting lineup will most like be: Luka/Kyrie/Klay/PJ/Lively

The 1st sub lineup will most likely be: Luka/Grimes/Marshall/Maxi/Gafford

The 2nd sub lineup will most likely be: Kyrie/Klay/Grimes/PJ/Lively

Closing lineup: Luka/Kyrie/Klay/PJ/Lively

But Marshall can easily replace either Maxi or Grimes which let the Mavs either play smaller or bigger depending on the situation. I expect OMax to get some burn too. Exum should also get some minutes between Kyrie+Luka.

We also can get fun lineups of Luka/Klay/Marshall/PJ/Lively where everyone on the court is 6'7 or bigger. Another fun one is just putting Maxi in there and that lineup is even bigger.

Point is, I'm coming around on the Marshall signing and the Mavs definitely made an intriguing pivot from DJJ.

I like Marshall as PJ primary backup. You could add just about anyone on the team to the foursome of center/Marshall/Luka/Grimes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply