Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 4 Playoffs 2024: Minnesota Timberwolves (0-3) vs. Dallas Mavericks (3-0)
(05-29-2024, 10:36 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: Luka has to look to score next game and set the tone. He just wasn't present as a scorer last night. He was way too hesitant. He needs to destroy Kyle Anderson and get McDaniels back onto him so Kyrie can get freed back up. I don't think Kyrie can score efficiently against McDaniels. He's too long and has the speed to stay with Kyrie. They also need to hunt Gobert all game. Lively being back should make all the difference to close this team out.

The officials allowed the Timberwolves to get away with a lot of contact last night on both Luka and Kyrie.  Lots of reaches, grabs and bumps.  Luka was visibly frustrated even more than usual.  The NBA has a big incentive to stretch these series a bit.  

Agree that Lively will be the deciding factor and we should be the favorites in game 5 even on the road.  We're a totally different team when he plays.  

I admire Maxi's toughness for playing with a major injury but if Maxi can't shoot, he's an enormous liability even with his excellent defense.  

KAT had his best shooting game in the playoffs and it was still close.  

The Timberwolves are a great team and it should surprise no one that they're capable of beating us when they play well.
Like Reply
It was a bad Kyrie game.  McDaniels had a lot to do with it and Kai also didn’t look comfortable around the rim which is incredibly rare. 

It was a weird Luka game.  He was struggling to feel out Anderson, McDaniels fouled him about 30 times, and he had one of those games where he spent too much time interacting with officials.  

It was once again obvious what a huge difference maker Lively is.  Gafford in drop was just want Edwards needed to make some big shots.  

It was a flat PJ game.  He hit a couple of 3s late but didn’t have those imprint moments we have grown accustomed to on both ends. 

It was a 4th quarter strategic fail by Kidd not to put KAT in as many actions as possible.

A lot of disappointing aspects of the game by the Mavs.  And credit to the Wolves as KAT and Ant played well, Gobert was effective, and Anderson was a great change up.  

The TPups will come out with a high degree of confidence and energy in Game 5. The crowd will be raucous and Luka will be chirped all game.  Gobert will continue with his sneaky dirty play that he gets away with for some reason.  Hope the next time the Mavs play on their home court is Game 3 of the NBA Finals because I don’t really want to have to sweat a Game 6 with the pressure looming of going to Minnesota for a Game 7 and the potential for an all time NBA series fail.
Like Reply
(05-29-2024, 11:00 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: The officials allowed the Timberwolves to get away with a lot of contact last night on both Luka and Kyrie.  Lots of reaches, grabs and bumps.  Luka was visibly frustrated even more than usual.  The NBA has a big incentive to stretch these series a bit.  

Agree that Lively will be the deciding factor and we should be the favorites in game 5 even on the road.  We're a totally different team when he plays.  

I admire Maxi's toughness for playing with a major injury but if Maxi can't shoot, he's an enormous liability even with his excellent defense.  

KAT had his best shooting game in the playoffs and it was still close.  

The Timberwolves are a great team and it should surprise no one that they're capable of beating us when they play well.

The uncalled fouls on Luka were as bad as I've seen last night. They are literally allowed to bump him all the way down the court, reach, grab, etc. The refs were forced to call a late one last night because Luka lost the ball due to the contact. It was only called because it was a turnover. I really think Kidd needs to stand up for Luka and he needs to use the media like RC does and other great coaches. He'll get a fine, but it will bring attention to the way he's officiated.
[-] The following 3 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, rocky164, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
What I can't figure out is why Monte Morris is completely out the Wolves rotation? They traded for him to backup Conley, but they're using Nickeil Alexander. Morris at one time was one of the best backup pg's in the league.
[-] The following 2 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • BigDirk41, Mavs2021
Like Reply
(05-29-2024, 01:13 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: What I can't figure out is why Monte Morris is completely out the Wolves rotation? They traded for him to backup Conley, but they're using Nickeil Alexander. Morris at one time was one of the best backup pg's in the league.

I keep forgetting they even have him! Maybe he’s just cooked? He was injured for a lot of last year if I’m remembering right. Sometimes guys that aren’t overly talented to begin with lose half a step and just never make it back to their old form.
Like Reply
(05-29-2024, 01:13 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: What I can't figure out is why Monte Morris is completely out the Wolves rotation? They traded for him to backup Conley, but they're using Nickeil Alexander. Morris at one time was one of the best backup pg's in the league.

Maybe his size? 

The only starter he could guard would be Kyrie, which seems like a mismatch.

Of the subs, maybe Hardy? Or Exum?
Like Reply
(05-29-2024, 03:58 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Maybe his size? 

The only starter he could guard would be Kyrie, which seems like a mismatch.

Of the subs, maybe Hardy? Or Exum?

Yeah maybe.  I just found it odd he's not playing. The same with Gordon Hayward for the Thunder. Presti gave up quite a bit for him and he was practically nailed to the bench.
Like Reply
This was such a tough game to watch.

After digesting and mostly avoiding social media, I've come to just accept you can't win a playoff game when 3 starters shoot a combined: 16-52.

Just can't happen.

Good news is, I don't think Luka, PJ, and Kyrie will all be that ice cold again. And even if they are, Lively will be back the next game to make up that 5 point difference.

I hope the Mavs continue to be resilient and are not going to come out next game and expect the Wolves to roll over.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I think it shows that, as important as the new defensive identity is, you still have to have offensive efficiency against good teams. DAL lost by 5 when nobody was hitting shots, but MIN scored well below their averages as well.

Conversely, this would have been one of those 25-30 blowouts if this was the pre-TDL team, so that's something to build on.
[-] The following 2 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • BigDirk41, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply