Poll: What will Klay make??
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Less than MLE
0%
0 0%
MLE
40.00%
6 40.00%
Over MLE, under $20m/yr
33.33%
5 33.33%
Over $20m/yr
26.67%
4 26.67%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Klay Thompson’s next contract - poll
What does the market say about a mid-30’s former superstar?
Like Reply
Hard to imagine Klay accepting anything less than 30. He'll leave the Warriors for sure at that number. 3 years/90 mil from a team like Orlando makes sense on paper.

If he can't get anything significant he probably stays with the Warriors for somewhere in the mid 20s.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Ain't nobody got time for that
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • Lukedoncic, Smitty
Like Reply
72/3 to Orlando with an early termination option for Orlando, last year partially guaranteed.
Like Reply
MLE...as long as it isn't with the Mavs...
Like Reply
(05-30-2024, 10:30 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: MLE...as long as it isn't with the Mavs...

Klay as a 6th man to replace THJ for 13mil a year is an absolute steal.

In his worst season of his career, he was still better than THJ. He's a different level of player man.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, omahen
Like Reply
I think his realistic value is around MLE, but I could see a team like Orlando or Detroit overpaying for vet leadership. Although I would be scared as hell he would just take the contract and "retire"
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
I think he gets the MLE, but we'll see.
Like Reply
I predict Thompson will get significantly more than the MLE. There just aren't that many impact players changing teams through free agency these days (the NBA has subtly done a good job of fixing that, since the LeBron and KD escapes back in the day) and so he's going to look great to one of these cap room teams about seven hours into free agency.

And tbh, I think it might not be a total waste, depending on the situation he's going to. He has obviously declined significantly, but he DOES know what it takes to be a winning team. He's one of the smartest, most well-respected vets they have in the league. A young, up and coming team might actually get their money's worth from him for a couple of years if he can provide the right kind of leadership in exchange for one more bag and a starting job (which is why he's leaving GS imo, not because of money).
Like Reply
20/21 THJ (28). 17pts/3reb/2ast 44/39/82
23/24 Klay (34). 18pts/3reb/2ast 43/39/93

THJ signed for 4/75. 18.75 average.
Klay is a way bigger name and his reputation alone has some value. But he is also much older. Don't expect a 3-4 year deal. Question is who can even offer him more than the MLE. 76ers, Magic, Jazz, OKC, Pistons, Spurs. Not a lot of options. Maybe a sign&trade. But that is unlikely because the Warriors don't want to take back big salaries.
Like Reply
2/40 is the floor imo
Like Reply
Watching him, it looks like his game fell off a steep cliff. I see him as an effective 15-mins/night player off the bench. MLE because of intangibles. Hope I’m wrong cause I really like the guy. But I don’t think there will be a bidding war.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
My guesses:
1 His deal will start in the 20s.
(I wouldn't want to pay him that much.)
2 No other team will want to pay him enough to entice him to leave GS.
Like Reply