Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Kris Dunn to LAC | ?yrs/ ? money
Chris Haynes (@ChrisBHaynes)
Free agent guard Kris Dunn has reached an agreement with the Los Angeles Clippers, league sources tell @NBAonTNT, @BleacherReport.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-01-2024, 08:27 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Chris Haynes (@ChrisBHaynes)
Free agent guard Kris Dunn has reached an agreement with the Los Angeles Clippers, league sources tell @NBAonTNT, @BleacherReport.

I have to say I like the Clippers moves this summer in general, and I think they want to copy the Mavs two stars + elite roleplayers model. Unfortunately for them Kawhi is too injury-prone and Harden disappears too often. Kawhi was fairly healthy last year and they had PG13. That was good enough to finish two games ahead of 7th. I would not only say that play-in is a ceiling lock, but depending on how Memphis bounces back and what Houston does, they could miss the play-offs completely, which is fucking fantastic, since OKC owns their next two picks unprotected.  Rolleyes Rolleyes
Like Reply
Not sure I agree with you regarding their moves. So far they've gotten KPJ, DJJ, Kris Dunn, Batum, and Mo Bamba.

KPJ is a huge wild card. Dunn cannot shoot still. Mo Bamba, is well... Mo Bamba. DJJ is a great player but I'm wondering how he fares not next to Luka+Kyrie. Only Batum was a high quality get imo.

Even if they miraculously have a healthy Kawhi season I still think they're a play-in lock. Just too many good teams in the West and their depth isn't tier 1.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 05:14 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I have to say I like the Clippers moves this summer in general, and I think they want to copy the Mavs two stars + elite roleplayers model. Unfortunately for them Kawhi is too injury-prone and Harden disappears too often. Kawhi was fairly healthy last year and they had PG13. That was good enough to finish two games ahead of 7th. I would not only say that play-in is a ceiling lock, but depending on how Memphis bounces back and what Houston does, they could miss the play-offs completely, which is fucking fantastic, since OKC owns their next two picks unprotected.  Rolleyes Rolleyes

Why on earth would you want OKC to get two additional lottery picks? They are already very good and very young. The biggest problem for that team is that as a small-market team they'll have trouble holding on to a core as their players age out of rookie contracts. Giving Presti (a very good drafter) fuel to keep the funnel of cheap young talent coming in is the best way to extend how long they are going to be significant contender in our division.

Would much rather the Clippers (who aren't going anywhere but down) hold on just enough to give OKC weaker picks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Arioch's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 10:00 AM)Arioch Wrote: Why on earth would you want OKC to get two additional lottery picks? They are already very good and very young. The biggest problem for that team is that as a small-market team they'll have trouble holding on to a core as their players age out of rookie contracts. Giving Presti (a very good drafter) fuel to keep the funnel of cheap young talent coming in is the best way to extend how long they are going to be significant contender in our division.

Would much rather the Clippers (who aren't going anywhere but down) hold on just enough to give OKC weaker picks.

Maybe the sarcasm wasn´t strong enough on that one. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 09:07 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Not sure I agree with you regarding their moves. So far they've gotten KPJ, DJJ, Kris Dunn, Batum, and Mo Bamba.

KPJ is a huge wild card. Dunn cannot shoot still. Mo Bamba, is well... Mo Bamba. DJJ is a great player but I'm wondering how he fares not next to Luka+Kyrie. Only Batum was a high quality get imo.

Even if they miraculously have a healthy Kawhi season I still think they're a play-in lock. Just too many good teams in the West and their depth isn't tier 1.

Dunn has shot around 49/ 40 / 73 over the last two years in Utah after being out of the league. If he cannot shoot, neither can Naji Marshall.

But that´s what the new rules will do to you. If you lose a player for nothing like the Clippers and are still far above the salary cap, you are very limited in your options to improve the team. Imho they have done well with what they could do. It just likely won´t matter in the West, cause it´s too damn good.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 10:10 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Dunn has shot around 49/ 40 / 73 over the last two years in Utah after being out of the league. If he cannot shoot, neither can Naji Marshall.

But that´s what the new rules will do to you. If you lose a player for nothing like the Clippers and are still far above the salary cap, you are very limited in your options to improve the team. Imho they have done well with what they could do. It just likely won´t matter in the West, cause it´s too damn good.

I'll admit I have not kept up with Dunn. Just checked his bball reference and you're right. He's shot 58/147 ( 39.5%) in 88 games for Utah. Pretty low volume but its much better than what he was in his previous 6 years of his career.

I guess I'll take a more wait-and-see approach now when it comes to Dunn. If he can maintain that level of shooting, that's a pretty good signing for them.
Like Reply
(07-02-2024, 09:07 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Not sure I agree with you regarding their moves. So far they've gotten KPJ, DJJ, Kris Dunn, Batum, and Mo Bamba.

When you’ve got a fair amount of dead salary, it makes it tough to build a contender.

Gotta swing for some flawed players on the cheap, hoping to squeeze a little more out of them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply